Menu

Dr. Hive: what can I put in a nebulizer?

rgrin

I had something like the flu, achy, 101-103 fever, tired, coughing, and a bit of drainage. It lasted 4 days. Now, I've just got a dry, unproductive cough that I can't kick. I went to the doctor a week ago and he gave me a prescription for Tessalon Perles, but it didn't do any good. Now our PayFlex account is having a fit over a dentist appointment and will not pay anything. We can't afford for me to go back to the doctor, but I'm still coughing like a feind. My son has a nebulizer for occasional asthma issues. Is there something I can put in there to help my cough until we can get this money thing worked out?

Update in post #11

I wouldn't put anything other than albuterol in a nebulizer, but that's me. If you have a dry cough here are a few old fashioned suggestions.

Hot steamy shower

breath through a hot/warm washcloth while trying to go to sleep sitting up

honey and lemon hot tea

vicks on your feet and cover with socks

OTC cough syrup

sucking on peppermints/hard candy

I hope you feel better soon.

I wouldn't put anything other than albuterol in a nebulizer, but that's me. If you have a dry cough here are a few old fashioned suggestions.

Hot steamy shower

breath through a hot/warm washcloth while trying to go to sleep sitting up

honey and lemon hot tea

vicks on your feet and cover with socks

OTC cough syrup

sucking on peppermints/hard candy

I hope you feel better soon.

I've been doing most of these for a week, plus sleeping with the humidifier. I haven't tried the hot/warm washcloth, though. I'd bet that would help throughout the day, not just before sleeping.

Is the cough from your lungs or from sinus congestion dripping into your throat?

Cough from lungs, no congestion or drainage for several days now.

Sterile saline solution is available OTC (but kept behind the counter at my pharmacy). It's used to dilute albuterol and may be helpful for a cough.

I'd call the doctor back, even if you can't afford it and tell him what he prescribed isn't working. If what you have does turn out to be asthma, it's going to cost far more to treat later when it's worsened than to treat early.

A previous asthma/allergist I had suggested a drop or two of eucalyptus mixed with water in the neb. I have never tried this, but it made sense to me (think of Vic's Vapor Rub). But I would use a different mouthpiece/kit than the one for the asthma medicine.

Could you possibly have Whooping Cough? It is a dry, non-productive cough that goes on for weeks. It does look like a regular cold at the beginning. If you have it, not much can be done for it. The fact it has gone on for so long in spite of medications makes me wonder. Hope you feel better soon.

My dad insisted I go back to the doctor, and lent me some money to cover the bill and prescriptions. According to the x-rays, I've got an early stage pneumonia. They gave me a prescription for a z-pack and hydrocodone cough syrup so that I can get some rest. Here's to meds that work and helpful, insistent parents! :cheers2: