Menu

Anyone use an overall scope & sequence for academic and personal stuff?

My son Jeffrey has Asperger's Syndrome. We've been homeschooling just over 6 years. Strictly academically speaking, I'm not in the least bit concerned with keeping up with the public schools. But lately I've been trying to determine what my son can and cannot do, and compare it with what he should and should not do. Does that make sense?

He's using K12 but not the way they designed it. We don't do busy work at all. We rarely do worksheets. In a nutshell, we read through each subject together aloud, talk about the material being presented and perhaps do a little written work to help shore up the new information in his brain. Currently, he's only doing a small amount of handwriting in math as he doesn't do all the problems assigned and we've started some writing via the IEW method (going really slowly so he doesn't get overwhelmed.) He loves the online assessments which are multiple choice and fill in the blank.

So anyway, I also started wondering about skills other than academics. I remember having a baby/toddler book that talked about what to expect at various stages of development. Is there something along those lines for older kids? When we hear of Special Needs kids being behind in personal, life, hygiene, social, etc skills, how is that determined?

I think it would also be fun and helpful to work on a thread like this here! Probably several of us could benefit! I know I could:

1. Getting around: Does dc automatically use safe crossing rules in parking lots, roads, etc as a pedestrian or do you have to remind him or her? Can dc tell you how to go to drive to familiar places like grocery store, friend's house, church? Can dc get around in a mall that he is familiar with? One she has just entered? (Looking at the directory,etc.) Driving: preskills: riding a bike or go-cart or riding mower. Learning how to back up, etc. Actual driving is often delayed in special needs kids until a little later as they develop better control over impulsivity,etc. Advanced map skills: "mapquesting" or google mapping a location, being the navigator while mom drives there. Learning to use GPS if necessary. Using the old fashioned map way, LOL!

2. Eating: knowing what constitutes a healthy diet. Planning meals. Fixing own breakfast, lunch. Learning to boil, saute, bake, broil, grill. Learning to follow simple package instructions (pudding, cake mix), then to follow recipes. Learning how to put out a fire in the kitchen. Proper clean up of dishes, pots, counters, stove, refrigerator, microwave. (One mom I know who has a son with Asperger's , recognizing that social skills will be challenging for him as far as marriage goes, has decided that she will do everything she can to train him to be a great husband in other ways. He helps around the house with chores very cheerfully as a teen!)

3. Hygiene: on his own, brushes & flosses twice daily, can shower and wash hair and does so on his own, keeps nails clean and trimmed. Sorts laundry. Can wash a load in the washer. Knows how to use dryer and the importance of cleaning lint filter. Can hang or fold and put away own clothes. Does the aforementioned without prompting.

4. Money management: has allowance that she manages herself. Must save, give (if that's a family value) a certain percentage. Is responsible for buying a range of items that she needs: first extras, then some necessary clothing, auto insurance, etc. Gradually transitions into buying all necessitites (so this responsibility doesn't hit all at once). Knows how to write check. Knows how to balance checkbook. Knows how to check account online. Transfer $ online, make payments online, etc.

Ok. That's my crack at it. Gotta go round up an escapee from writing!

Now i've got the idea!

Social skills: How to greet someone, how to ask for help, how to disagree, how to handle anger, how to handle corrections (essential for the workplace), how to say good-bye. Most important, how to appologize.

Job skills: How to interview, how to keep track of assigned work, how to make sure a job is fully completed, how to prioritze with bosses assistance.

Adding to Money Management: How to open and close accounts, how to check for good credit cards, how to manage credit card spending,how to buy a CD or Savings Bond, how to avoid money scams. How to comparison shop.

Household maintenance and cleaning: how to do laundry, how to mend clothing, how to clean a bathroom and kitchen, how to do "spring" cleaning, how to paint a room, how to do simple repairs (faucet leaks, toilet, caulking tubs, upto replacing a light switch depending on abilities, etc), how to prepare a house for winter.

Yard work: how to mow and trim, how to fertilize, how to trim bushes.

Exactly! But oh my... overwhelming! :tongue_smilie:

I guess I'm going to start typing up my own checklist and use many of the ideas you ladies have listed!

The big one I've been working on is hygiene. My ds11 is completely self-sufficient now in the bathroom. He pretty much has been since his body started changing with puberty. While my DH and I are happy he's learning to do these things for himself, we aren't convinced he's doing a super great job every time. My son is very modest though. He evens closes and locks his bedroom door when he's putting on deodorant. I don't want to invade his privacy so I just let him go. I'm hoping he'll just improve those skills over time? :)

The kitchen stuff is just starting really. He helped me make some boxed pasta today for lunch and he was so happy because it's his favorite pasta. But I had to help with things I never thought about such as stirring gently, pouring something gently, etc.

Oops, I'm needed in the living room. TV has gone beserk.

This would be a great thing to have for each age. A What to Expect of your SN K, 1st, etc year with both a short and long range goal in mind. With a guide to if he/she is Mild, Moderate, Sever SN.

Like I would have never considered teaching my oldest to tie his shoes at 5 if it wasn't for my mil's nagging, I mean insistence upon it. And I would have relaxed a lot more if I knew that kids with SPD tend to have a harder time doing fine motor things like that. And having a 7yo who can sorta tie his shoes after two years of daily instruction would not have been as big a deal.

To know what is "normal" for our not so average kids would be rather helpful. So do any of you have time to write that book? :lol:

Exactly! But oh my... overwhelming! :tongue_smilie:

......The big one I've been working on is hygiene. My ds11 is completely self-sufficient now in the bathroom. He pretty much has been since his body started changing with puberty. While my DH and I are happy he's learning to do these things for himself, we aren't convinced he's doing a super great job every time. .....

Check hygene the way our grandmothers' did. Check the hands and nails, and look at the back of the neck and behind the ears. Add in the sniff test. Then my ds needs me to check for clean clothes every morning. Sometimes I think I should also talley the number of dirty socks and underwear waiting for me. :-P

That reminds me of another critical life skill, especially if you have any challenges at all:

How to do something that you don't want to do.

Really, that is a life skill. How much of an adult's day is about stuff we're dying to do at the time? I do not like cooking, but everyone around here likes eating. I cook. I go to the grocery store on the way home from tutoring when I'm tired and want to take a nap. I clean up (sometimes). I stand over ds while he does his work. DH slogs it out to earn a living for our family often not liking what he's doing. It's just life.

Hi

You might want to look into RDI for all the socio-cognitive-developmental stuff. It has all that stuff and more. If you really want to know where your kid is developmentally with regards to life, social, communication skills, etc, that's what the RDI objectives cover. They also get into academic objectives at the appropriate developmental stages. http://www.rdiconnect.com

A great yahoo group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Autism-remediation-for-our-children/. There's also a yahoo group for homeschoolers doing RDI. And a great blog is http://www.aut2bhomeincarolina.blogspot.com.

Sorry to be so brief--I promised my ds the computer and he's patiently waiting for me to hand it over!

HTH

Pam

<><

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to what Laurie said, I would focus on basic social skills via manners. Meaning, saying "hello", "please", "thank you" when appropriate. Directly and simply answering a question (to best of ability) when some one asks a questions. "How are you today?" An appropriate response like, "Fine, thanks."

If he has any struggles with this type of thing, as I know some kids with Aspergers do, the every day interaction available in the larger world (grocery stores, shopping malls, small group gatherings) offer a lot of opportunity to model and reinforce basic manners.

I've read a bit about RDI and I like, not only for kids on the ASD, but all people really, the idea of the Master/Apprentice relationship. My kids, not ASD, really benefit when either their father or I take the time to walk them step by step through even simple activies, like cooking or challenging personnal conversations. For example, we use some role playing when they have a conflict with a friend and they need assistance in how to handle the situation in the future. We'll give them stock phrases to remember, like, "I don't like the way your acting. I'm leaving now." Or, "This situation is stressing me out. I need to cool down for a minute."

Just some thoughts.