Menu

I haven't posted here often but was wondering if any of you ladies would be willing to share any knowledge or experience with Heart of Dakota curriculum. It interests me in several ways, but is it...I don't know, academic enough?

We've been using SL, which I like in many ways, but I've been wanting something that helps me draw more out of the books. HOD seems to do this, and is lit-based like SL. But SL still seems more "academic" to me, but it could be partly because HOD's website and catalog are really cheesy and have a very "unacademic", juvenile look to them. But when I analyze the nuts and bolts of the program it seems like it is rich and there is a lot there if you look beyond the look of the website, TM covers, etc.

Hoping for someone who has knowledge or experience with HOD!

Thanks!

Nicole

I haven't posted here often but was wondering if any of you ladies would be willing to share any knowledge or experience with Heart of Dakota curriculum. It interests me in several ways, but is it...I don't know, academic enough?

We've been using SL, which I like in many ways, but I've been wanting something that helps me draw more out of the books. HOD seems to do this, and is lit-based like SL. But SL still seems more "academic" to me, but it could be partly because HOD's website and catalog are really cheesy and have a very "unacademic", juvenile look to them. But when I analyze the nuts and bolts of the program it seems like it is rich and there is a lot there if you look beyond the look of the website, TM covers, etc.

Hoping for someone who has knowledge or experience with HOD!

Thanks!

Nicole

HOD is an excellent program and it is "academic enough". That is a very difficult question to address in detail without knowing quite a few things. Besides literature, what are you looking for in homeschooling? Have you spent time on HOD's site and with their catalog?

For what it's worth, I think HOD has a beautiful catalog and website. Their forum is excellent. :001_smile:

To help you with investigating HOD I'd read this thread here (and the links provided) and spend some time with the placement chart here.

Children are placed in HOD based on skill. Programs are not chosen based on "content" (i.e. what era of history you'd like to study).

It is definitely more CM based than Sonlight. It draws more out of the books, with less reading and more assignments, which leads to better retention, IMO.

As long as you place your child according to skill the academics are definitely enough.

The LA is more of a CM approach in contrast to TWTM's approach. I prefer TWTM's LA (explicitly taught step by step writing, explicitly taught phonics based spelling).

We are using HOD and love it! I think it is very appropriate as far as academics. There are extensions in the Bigger and up guides to make it even more challenging for older DC...and you can change the 3R's level to fit your DC's grade levels.

Thanks for your replies! I have spent a lot of time digging through the website and the catalog. I was surprised by all the books that I found actually go into the program, which was surprising I guess because that isn't as readily apparent when you first look at the program. I'm used to Sonlight's approach where the picture in the catalog has you staring down a huge stack of books and you know what you are getting right off the bat!

By academic I mean rigorous as far as lots of literature, discussion, and writing about the literature. I think what I'm wondering about is SL seems to have a wide, international sort of flavor to it that gives children a broad worldview and awareness. I don't get this same feeling from HOD. I know their upper level grades aren't written yet so that may change. But, I am starting to feel that SL is lacking in some sort of connectedness with the books, and I want some instruction on how to draw more out of the literature we're reading. I like what I am seeing in HOD in that regard, thus my interest.

Hope that clarifies my question a bit.

Sonlight was the first program I have used with my 3-4 year old daughter and many of the books were over her head. I kept drooling over the catalogue for several years and then we went back and used the K core for 1st grade. We had a good year. However, I ended up ditching their LA and felt that what I had bought was really just a stack of books I could have bought from Amazon or elsewhere and a schedule of what to read when. Nothing more. Oh, perhaps a few comprehension questions.

I switched to HOD Beyond for my 7 yo son and 8 yo daughter and I am very pleased with it. I feel there is a continuity and flow in the program. I feel we are doing something more than just reading books one after the other.

I love the Bible component. Honestly, I find I can keep talking about what we have done in "school" even at the weekends, and their Bible selections are great for character formation. Their Bible permeates the whole curriculum and in extent, our whole lives. As a Christian, I think this is a great objective to meet.

As for literature analysis, you can't beat DITHOR. Even my 7 yo very reluctant writer can't wait to use his DITHOR workbook. Even if you don't go down the DITHOR route, you can still find a "mini-DITHOR" option in storytime.

Their LA and math are optional which gives you flexibility to use another program.

You might find science a bit light. We supplement science and this is easy to do.

The bottom line is that HOD is a very open and go, doable curriculum that has long term benefits - it might feel slow, but it is steady and because it is doable, it gets done consistently. The other benefit is that art and poetry is scheduled and therefore done.

I am very happy to have HOD as the base of our curriculum and I plan to continue using it. I already have Bigger on my shelf!

Best wishes!

:iagree: However I've never used Sonlight. We used unit studies exclusively before HOD. We definitely have tons of discussions and many hands on activities that my dc ask to do again and again. Things with HOD really stick. My dc just spent the night at my in-laws and they were pretending with my in-laws about the different time periods we've studied. They were in the Revolutiony War, and hiding their silver etc.:) If you want a program that has you doing more than reading, you should consider HOD. We read and discuss it all, history, Bible, science, poetry, different genres, etc.

Edited by Edwena
spelling

I have used and love both of them. SL is easier for the kids, it is not as challenging academically, in my opinion. The depth of discussion and the exposure to different ideas and points of view that SL offers is very enjoyable for us. But, I worry that the children aren't developing their skills in the same way that HOD would have them doing. For me, HOD offers peace of mind because it is so apparant that the kids are making strides academically. To be completely honest, we enjoy SL more overall, but I rest easier with HOD, knowing that they are developing very strong skills. My kids would love to do nothing but wallow on the floor and have me read to them all day, and we get plenty of that with both SL and HOD, but HOD expects them to do more with the material. The writing instruction is orderly and incremental. SL's LA feels more "hit or miss" to me. It's good, I'm not knocking it, it's just not as structured as HOD's.

I have used and love both of them. SL is easier for the kids, it is not as challenging academically, in my opinion. The depth of discussion and the exposure to different ideas and points of view that SL offers is very enjoyable for us. But, I worry that the children aren't developing their skills in the same way that HOD would have them doing. For me, HOD offers peace of mind because it is so apparant that the kids are making strides academically. To be completely honest, we enjoy SL more overall, but I rest easier with HOD, knowing that they are developing very strong skills. My kids would love to do nothing but wallow on the floor and have me read to them all day, and we get plenty of that with both SL and HOD, but HOD expects them to do more with the material. The writing instruction is orderly and incremental. SL's LA feels more "hit or miss" to me. It's good, I'm not knocking it, it's just not as structured as HOD's.

:iagree:

Here are some more threads comparing the two.

I'm new to the forums, but I'm wondering if anyone could compare HOD with The Well Trained Mind and Tapestry of Grace? Is its Charlotte Mason approach evident in each lesson?

I have an 8 year old (almost nine) and an 11 year old... will be in 4th grade and 6th grade... Would anyone recommend combining them?

Thanks for all the SL comparisons... This thread has helped me take that one of the list.

Or if anyone can direct me to an different thread, that would be appreciate too. Thanks in advance for your time!

I'm new to the forums, but I'm wondering if anyone could compare HOD with The Well Trained Mind and Tapestry of Grace? Is its Charlotte Mason approach evident in each lesson?

I have an 8 year old (almost nine) and an 11 year old... will be in 4th grade and 6th grade... Would anyone recommend combining them?

Thanks for all the SL comparisons... This thread has helped me take that one of the list.

Or if anyone can direct me to an different thread, that would be appreciate too. Thanks in advance for your time!

I don't have experience with ToG, but I can provide a few comparisons with the Well Trained Mind.

Similarities:

Places priority on the 3R's

Strong in building skills

Utilizes narration, copywork, dictation, and written narration for LA (tho slightly different in style)

Strong in LA and history

Recommends R&S for grammar and begins grammar at a younger age

Schedules writing across the curriculum

Saves creative writing for older students (4th/5th grade and up)

Includes poetry study and memorization

Includes Shakespeare (in RTR)

Teaches math from concrete to abstract in early guides

Teaches the scientific method

Promotes reading of whole books in literature

Recommends many literature classics

Does not require abstract analysis from younger students

Has chronological history in Preparing and then again in CTC and up

Differences:

Lighter in science; science becomes deeper and more organized in 4th/5th and up. More nature related in early guides.

Uses living books for spines rather than encyclopedic-type books

Bible is more integrated

Less memorization; memorization is more poetry and Scripture and not lists of facts

More emphasis in art and hands-on

Book choices are more conservative; you won't find much in the way of pagan myths or nudity

Literature analysis is included/encouraged (tho not required)

History is not begun chronologically; they begin with Bible and then American before chronological world history

Uses dictation instead of a spelling program

No Latin or root study

You may be interested in this post by Carrie, the author, comparing HoD with the Classical method from her perspective.

As far as combining your children, they are in the right age span for that, especially with extensions. Check out the placement chart to see where they fall skill-wise. Preparing or CTC may be good choices for them.

Edited by birchbark

I would also urge you to look at the forum sticky at the top of the main board, called Reasons behind HOD's choices. There's a lot of info to be had there.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6248

There's another great post by the writer on learning how to think under this thread:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8793

HOD also caters to all types of learners. HOD is deceiving. It's extremely full.

Thanks for the detailed comparison, Birch... That is really where my thinking led me... I just love the HOD choices and the way it is set up... But, I wanted to be sure to ask around first, before making that first year curriculum purchase...

I'm still considering doing a different math than their Singapore suggestion.

Heather, I want something that is very centered around biblical teachings... I see that with HOD... But, I'm wondering what you mean about integrated. Looking forward to your response...

And Alicac, thank you for the suggestion... I hadn't known about the forum sticky previously... I really appreciate everyone's responses...

Thanks all!

I totally did not mean to high-jack this thread... But, I was loving all of the info you guys were sharing with her and didn't want to start a whole new thread about what I was reading here... Sorry, MomtoEight... I hope this makes sense...

Heather, what do you mean by integrated?

By integrated I mean the lessons come directly from the literature books. So instead of just the copy work (or dictation) coming from the reading, the grammar lessons come from the reading as well. The geography lessons spawn from what is being taught in the story or history lesson. They are all tied together and spawn from each other. HOD uses some extra books for these things (like Rod and Staff). There isn't anything wrong with that. It's just a slightly different approach. Since the OP was comparing SL and HOD, I thought I'd mention another option that are a bit similar.

Please note that I have not used HOD but have looked at it several times and plan to use TGTL (Trail Guide to Learning) next year as our LA and other program so these observations are just from my research. I also think that if the primary focus is Bible, HOD seems more focused that way since TGTL has a Bible extension but can be used without, while HOD definitely does not separate the Bible teachings.

Heather

Thanks Heather. I am using HOD Bigger and I always leave out the Bible, but I don't think I could do that with other levels.

I didn't really know what integrated meant at all. lol. I really like the way the geography is tied in to the history lesson, but yes the spelling, grammar and some of the other LA are sometimes separate lessons.

By integrated I mean the lessons come directly from the literature books. So instead of just the copy work (or dictation) coming from the reading, the grammar lessons come from the reading as well. The geography lessons spawn from what is being taught in the story or history lesson. They are all tied together and spawn from each other. HOD uses some extra books for these things (like Rod and Staff). There isn't anything wrong with that. It's just a slightly different approach. Since the OP was comparing SL and HOD, I thought I'd mention another option that are a bit similar.

Please note that I have not used HOD but have looked at it several times and plan to use TGTL (Trail Guide to Learning) next year as our LA and other program so these observations are just from my research. I also think that if the primary focus is Bible, HOD seems more focused that way since TGTL has a Bible extension but can be used without, while HOD definitely does not separate the Bible teachings.

Heather

Another option you might want to look at that is in a similar vein is Trail Guide to Learning (Paths of Exploration/Paths of Settlement). It is a bit more integrated than either HOD or SL but with a similar approach.

Heather

:iagree: I used HOD for my son a couple years ago and found it to be way too light for my taste. I had to supplement heavily and so ended up ditching the entire curriculum. TGTL has more than lived up to my expectations.

Note: This is only MY personal experience. Not intended to discredit HOD or any family who finds it works well for them. It just didn't work for me.

Note: This is only MY personal experience. Not intended to discredit HOD or any family who finds it works well for them. It just didn't work for me.

I want to echo this. I did not suggest the OP look at TGTL to discredit HOD in anyway. I just know that I like all the options when I'm trying to decide and this is a pretty new program so I thought she might be interested in checking it out. For my personal needs, I decided on TGTL because (weird as it seems) I already have a history program that I love but was looking for something integrated specifically for LA/geography etc. Something to bridge the gap for us - advancing our copywork but not heading down the formal grammar and Classical Writing road yet and helping me get some of those other things done (like geography and art) without adding a stack of independent curriculum. I'd been doing my own but am exhausted with the prep work. So for me, I decided to go with TGTL because my focus was wanting the integrated LA etc for which HOD utilizes separate books.

Heather

Yes, not to mention the integrated art, geography and science. I barely have to THINK with this curriculum. It is ALL THERE. I love that. It's literally open and go...with the exception of gathering a few household materials for the science experiments. And those were so well planned out, explained and fully illustrated, that I found it incredibly easy to pull them off with minimal effort. Let's just say it is a curriculum that allows Mom to be very successful with a lot less stress and fuss than virtually any other curriculum I've used (and I've pretty much used them all :lol:) over the past 16 years.

Yes, not to mention the integrated art, geography and science. I barely have to THINK with this curriculum. It is ALL THERE. I love that. It's literally open and go...with the exception of gathering a few household materials for the science experiments. And those were so well planned out, explained and fully illustrated, that I found it incredibly easy to pull them off with minimal effort. Let's just say it is a curriculum that allows Mom to be very successful with a lot less stress and fuss than virtually any other curriculum I've used (and I've pretty much used them all :lol:) over the past 16 years.

You are killing me. I do NOT have the money to buy this until fall. It makes no sense to get it now and start for the 7 weeks we have left of school. But I want it SO badly. LOL It's so odd for me to be so excited about something. I am completely set and comfortable with my path for my older two. And at some point my youngest will follow, but there is just something about TGTL that just has my youngest written all over it.

Heather

I appreciate all advice...

TGTL... in your experience which sections might I have to supplement? Art? Music? History?

I have read everything here, but I wonder if there is a comparison thread between TGTL and HOD?

I love the internet sometimes... It's so awesome to read everyone's thoughts and get to network with people whom I would never get to network with otherwise.

THANKS, again!

I appreciate all advice...

TGTL... in your experience which sections might I have to supplement? Art? Music? History?

I have read everything here, but I wonder if there is a comparison thread between TGTL and HOD?

I love the internet sometimes... It's so awesome to read everyone's thoughts and get to network with people whom I would never get to network with otherwise.

THANKS, again!

Well, let's see. We are doing Paths of Settlement and the art is watercolor lessons (which I am doing right along with my son, because I am....how shall I say it....artistically challenged :lol:). I love it, because it's not a "craft", but a true painting experience in a medium that children (and artistically challenged adults) can have great success with. The history is well-covered and fully integrated with the LA and geography. The curriculum also includes music. Since it is American history, the songs are traditional patriotic and folk songs from our country's past. So...um....none of the above need to be supplemented. Unless you're an overachiever. :D Oh, there are also cooking "lessons". A study of each of the 50 states is part of the geography lesson, so once a week, we choose a recipe from "Eat Your Way Across the USA" and prepare it to serve with dinner that night. My son has really enjoyed that part of it.

Thanks Heather. I am using HOD Bigger and I always leave out the Bible, but I don't think I could do that with other levels.

We are using Beyond and we are very happy with it. Ironically, we left the Bible out for a few weeks when I was really pressed for time and I seriously missed it.

I like that it is not just reading a devotional and calling it a day. I like the memory verses and how it encourages the children to share their memory verses at the end of the week. I like the questions that lead to discussion. Sometimes my children seem to plod through them, but I can see that our discussions affect everyday matters. Also, I can see that I can apply the devotional message to other readings too. In other words, the Bible component of HOD, does permeate our day, not only the curriculum and this is a Blessing.

Lovedtodeath, the above thoughts are not meant to be an attack on your choices. :001_smile: I am just saying that HOD's Bible has been a blessing in our house.

Lovedtodeath, the above thoughts are not meant to be an attack on your choices. :001_smile: I am just saying that HOD's Bible has been a blessing in our house.
I understand. I don't know how different the Bible is in other levels either, but I just didn't feel like character building was where we needed to focus our Bible study right now (we really need to start from scratch because we haven't done much Bible study with our kids, and character building just seems like a lecture.) and my main point is that it is actually easily left out in this level.

Ugh.. I just wrote this whole long response to your question about what might need to be supplemented in HOD and cyberspace ate it. I think the most important thing is to understand the approach, especially to LA. It's taught in context. It isn't sentence after sentence to parse or traditional spelling lists you memorize etc. Some people get pretty uncomfortable with the in context approach. That usually leads to supplementation. I don't plan to supplement because I know what I'm getting into with it and will be fine with the approach - at least for now at this age. I know my grammar and writing progression for when she's older so I know what skills are coming down the road. But if you are looking for Rod and Staff type grammar - this isn't the way they do it.

Heather

Well, I certainly appreciate your time... Sorry about that Cyberspace thing... Hate it when that happens....

I am seriously considering TGTL now... I was pretty sure I wanted HOD before, but I'm really liking that I can combine my girls more easily - and, the way that everything IS indeed integrated...

I'm not a huge fan of R and S... So, this is quite appealing to me. I have to say that I do love the way that HOD is laid out... It's so easy to follow... But, I just looked at samples from TGTL and it is beautifully laid out also... My choice just got a lot harder. Thanks for sharing so much ladies, and for beginning this post, Mom

Well, I certainly appreciate your time... Sorry about that Cyberspace thing... Hate it when that happens....

I am seriously considering TGTL now... I was pretty sure I wanted HOD before, but I'm really liking that I can combine my girls more easily - and, the way that everything IS indeed integrated...

I'm not a huge fan of R and S... So, this is quite appealing to me. I have to say that I do love the way that HOD is laid out... It's so easy to follow... But, I just looked at samples from TGTL and it is beautifully laid out also... My choice just got a lot harder. Thanks for sharing so much ladies, and for beginning this post, Mom

I don't know if I should say sorry or you're welcome. Sometimes there are too many good choices LOL. I hope you are able to come to the right decision for your family.

Heather

Has anyone here used HoD and MFW? I was pondering between the 2 but finally "settled" on MFW for fall. We will have a new baby as well as having 5 in school and one preschooler. I wanted something open and go as well as integrated lol!

Thanks,

Mary

I also wanted to say thank you for mentioning Trail Guide to Learning! DH and I looked at the sample pages of Paths of Exploration last night and it seems like EXACTLY what we've been looking for. We are even making plans to attend the local-ish convention they will be exhibiting at so we can see it first hand and ask their recommendations for something complimentary for our 1st and 2nd graders. HoD will also be exhibiting there as well, so I appreciate the chance to do some real comparison shopping!

Has anyone here used HoD and MFW? I was pondering between the 2 but finally "settled" on MFW for fall. We will have a new baby as well as having 5 in school and one preschooler. I wanted something open and go as well as integrated lol!

Thanks,

Mary

I haven't used HOD yet but am going to start next year. We've used MFW for the past two years, mainly for the reason you mentioned, that I can keep everyone on the same subject, however, this year my eighth grader isn't being challenged and my second grader is lost half the time. My fourth grader isn't an auditory learner AT ALL so most of the reading time goes in one ear and out the other.

I saw HOD at the convention last week and am going to try it for next year. My eighth grader will stick with MFW and do the AHL high school year.

I have used both and found HOD is a much better fit for us because each of my children learn at their level. You have to find what fits your family though. You can combine children close in age and skill level with HOD but you would not want to combine a wide age range. We use three different guides and finish by lunch every day doing all of each one. My main difficulty with MFW (ECC) was I had to spend large amounts of time to add or take away so much to make it fit each of my children at their level therefore it was not "open and go". With HOD I don't worry about that and my kids are covering more areas! :)

Thanks,

Mary

As one who likes them both, but chose HOD over MFW this year, because after doing them both back to back, HOD had more activities in all areas. It caters to all learning styles.

I also homeschool one, so when we used MFW, there were several books that really were not level appropriate and skipped them. MFW seems to encompass a wider age range so we paid money for books that were way over or under dd's level. That's great for those who need to combine, but for us, a bust.

I also liked HOD's book selections better. I don't like paying a company for a lot of evolutionary content and MFW seems to use a lot of Usborne when IMO, they could find better suited Christian material. I do know they pull some of that info out and have it printed for them, but yet, the money still goes to "Usborne". There's just so many good Christian texts out there and HOD seems to be able to find them. So that's another issue on why I chose HOD.

HOD does a lot of modeling...what is required of the student moreso than MFW. HOD walks kids through how to do certain aspects and gradually gets them independent. It's just more spelled out in HOD.