Menu

Paraffin dipped fall leaves

Has anyone actually done this? I've looked up directions online - but I wanted to hear some experience from others that have done it.

The directions online say to use water in the can with the paraffin and that the paraffin would float on the top. Does that mean I'm to dip the leaves horizontally rather than vertically into the can? How do I make sure to get just a thin layer?

Can I use one of my cooking pots with a metal can inside for the melted paraffin? Or should I go buy a pot at the thrift store?

How do I let them dry? Won't they stick to whatever surface I put them on? Or do they dry quickly?

I guess I can only use leaves with stems?

Any tips - or safety issues to consider?

Thanks!!

I've done this, but with beeswax.

I would use an old coffee can or thrift store pot IN another pot of water. Wax can go from nicely warm to flames quickly with direct heat and it's a pain to clean out. We didn't float the wax on the water but you wouldn't need anywhere near as much wax that way. We were making candles anyway.

The leaves do last a while, but not once they crack and break the seal.

We've always preserved them with glycerin, which is much simpler. You can also use silica gel to preserve them. Here's one site that tells about both:

http://www.treesforyou.org/Value/Misc/preserv.htm

I'm just offering this because wax can cause nasty burns and these other ways don't involve hot wax.....

Oh! And here's another site that includes sealing leaves in wax paper, which we've also done in past:

http://gardening.about.com/od/craftsanddecor/ss/Preserve_Leaves.htm

Edited by mcconnellboys

We did this last year by melting old candles in a can in a pot of water. We just dipped the leaves in and made sure they were coated and then let them dry on wax paper. I still have the ones we made last year, and they are still pretty well preserved, though they have lost most of their color. We really did enjoy them while they lasted, though.

Lisa