Menu

Does anyone have a steam mop for hard floors?

I'm thinking of purchasing a steam mop for my kitchen floor. It's linoleum, but eventually I'd like to do my whole main floor in hard floors of some sort.

With 5 boys and 2 dogs, my kitchen floor needs to be cleaned more often than the once a week it now gets. But getting out the mop and bucket and keeping people off it while it dries is time consuming. The floor is too large to do with a Swiffer or Swiffer Wet Jet.

Do you have a steam mop? Do you love it? What kind do you have? Would you buy it again? Does the floor get clean and dry quickly?

We have a Shark steam mop, and we've had it for several months now. I like it. It doesn't do the absolutely fabulous job it does on the commercials, but I like it so much better than the Swiffer we had before that. It always left a nasty residue. The steam mop doesn't do that. It works very well on our tile kitchen, hallway, and bathroom floors. I wish it did a slightly better job on the hardwood floors. It leaves some parts of the floor a little hazy, and it doesn't do the best job getting all of the dog drool spots off it (we have 2, large dogs). If I follow after it with a towel to wipe up the steam -- essentially polish it -- it looks beautiful and shiny.

My only 2 real complaints about this steam mop is the size of the water tank, and the length of the cord. I find I have to stop and refill it several times to do my whole downstairs (hallway, bathroom, LR, DR, kitchen). I also have to unplug it a couple of times in the LR and DR because the cord isn't all that long.

The floors are mostly dry within a couple of minutes, although there will be some wet spots that may take a bit longer to dry. Overall, we're happy with it.

I have the Bissell Steam Mop and LOVE it. My entire house is ceramic tile and it works wonders. I had my first one for just under a year when it broke. I called Bissell and they sent me a brand new one!!!! I have had the second one for about 18 months, use it twice a week and it is still going strong.

My tile floors are hard on the microfiber clothes that it uses, but I found them at a local vacuum cleaner dealer and got a deal. I love that I can throw them in the washer and am never cleaning with dirty water.

I had the shark one and didn't care for it. (The handle was too flimsy, and the pad on the bottom kept falling off.) Thenk we bought the H2O Mop and I LOVE it! It does a great job cleaning the floors, and the pads are much nicer, too. My only complaint is that I wish the cord was a bit longer.

I have an H2O mop, too--the cord IS too short, and the pad gets wet fairly quickly. I'm not sure whether the steam gets the floor clean or it just gets wiped with the hot water-soaked pad, to be honest.

Mine broke after less than a year. I want the Oreck now, because the pads are a little thicker, and it steams in any direction, even upside down or on its side. Pricey, tho.

We have the el cheapo linoleum the builder put it and it isn't smooth, has little bumps and crevices all over that the dogs mud up quickly ... mopping, swiffer wet jet, etc don't work ... only scrubbing with a brush on my hands and knees. Do the steam mops handle that or do I need to go get a deck brush like what I used when I worked fast food?

We have the el cheapo linoleum the builder put it and it isn't smooth, has little bumps and crevices all over that the dogs mud up quickly ... mopping, swiffer wet jet, etc don't work ... only scrubbing with a brush on my hands and knees. Do the steam mops handle that or do I need to go get a deck brush like what I used when I worked fast food?

Me too. My linoleum has grooves all in them that collect grime. I had to scrub with a brush on hands and knees. Our steam mop keeps the grooves very clean.

The only problem I have with them is that they don't get exactly to the edge, so I have to do the edges by hand infrequently.

I have the Shark and it dries fairly quickly. Better than any alternative except for getting on your hands and knees and towel drying. And that's not going to happen here.

I find that it seems a lot harder to pull out for quick clean ups. The Swiffer didn't scrub, and the mop left the residue. Of the 3 it's the best for us.

Laura