Menu

What to do in Orlando besides the big theme parks?

Dh has a conference in Orlando in November so we're all going to go. We'll go a few days early and do Sea World, Aquatica and Busch Gardens (and save Disney until dh can spend the whole time with us). I am looking for some more low key attractions to take in with the 4 ds (ages 11, 9, 6, and 1) while dh is working.

What off the beaten path or lesser attractions should I check out? The kids want to check out Gatorland. We are pretty flexible and like a wide variety of activities. We will enjoy the condo and pool but we get a little stir crazy and would like to get out somewhere almost every day even if for just a few hours.

Thanks.

Marie

There are lots of putt-putt golf types of places, smaller science museum type places, etc. that wouldn't be big, whole day events. One that my guys particularly liked was WonderWorks. They also always wanted to go to Medieval Times. (I took my older son to a medieval feast that was similar once when we were out in Las Vegas and he loved it.)

IKEA :001_smile: We went there last week after going to Disney and before heading home. Of course I have two teen girls, one of whom is looking forward to decorating a dorm room.

Seriously, I have heard Orlando has a wonderful hands-on science museum. I have never been, but some friends have told me it is good.

I researched Orlando before we went last year.

Places to go:

Gatorland

Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum

Air boat ride on the swamp

NASA

Medieval Times restaurant

The beach

Cirque De Soleil

**If you have any memberships to museums or zoos the Orlando places may have a reciprocating program--Our membership to the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh gives us free admission to the Science Museum in Orlando.

There are alot of places that you could go that I can't remember. Look on websites about Orlando and you'll probably find lots of other attractions.

The Orlando Science Center (hands-on) is awesome. Four floors.

Wonderworks is cool too.

Cocoa Beach/Kennedy Space Center is only a 45 minute drive down the interstate. You could dip your toes in the ocean too, while you were there. Or just do the beach and skip the Space Center. Forgot how long you said you would be there, but honestly, after a couple of theme parks, you might want a couple of days to "chill".

If you are planning to go to the beach, I would recommend New Smyrna Beach. Most people go to Daytona or Cocoa, and both are very touristy. New Smyrna Beach is much nicer. Pretty beach and much more family friendly. It's just south of Daytona. The locals usually go to New Smyrna, and the tourists usually hit Daytona Beach.

I may be alone here but I'd die if I went to Orlando and didn't do Disney and Universal. I know they cost a fortune but I love those places dearly. The play structures at Universal alone are worth it, even if we didn't do any high tech rides. I've been trying to figure out a way to get back there for the past six years. They are extremely kid-friendly.

I grew up in Tampa and then Melbourne/Palm Bay (west coast and east coast) -- if beach is what you crave, go south to Sebastian Inlet. Do your research though, it used to be a deserted pristine beach - but it's been 15 years since I've lived there. OR, if you are on the west side of the state, Clearwater has a wonderful beach. It was my college hangout (sigh). White sand beaches and warm water. It's what I dream of as I shovel snow out here in Eastern Oregon.

I do want to hit a beach so I will check out the ones listed.

We were just at Disney a year ago and while we enjoyed it, I have no problem passing it up to do something different :) I don't think we would get enough out of those pricey tickets without my dh. We'll do it another time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is surprisingly hard to get that information because every Orlando visitors website I've gone to is so dominated by all the big theme parks (and we do really enjoy the parks, too).

Marie