Menu

What do you use for Science 6th, 7th and 8th grade?

...along with some Tiner books for breadth, Science Explorer, and coming up on Real Science 4 Kids Level II chemistry, to be combined in a unit study with their KOGS books on technology and philosophy, for the summer between 7th and 8th grades, (or possibly first thing in the fall in which case we will continue with life sciences from SE for the summer work). Also a robotics team, including robot challenge, iterative programming and testing, and optimization; and a separate technical challenge to study a local climate issue. Also a Nature Awareness class, one full day per week, to learn and experience the local environment including plants and animals. Also field trips to local technology and natural history museums. Also in 6th grade DD used Snap Circuits a lot.

Actually, this sounds way more impressive than it really is. We don't seem to ever do any experiments at home, and I don't know that DD's retention is really all that good. I think that to a large extent I have not been very successful in teaching science, although I have provided considerable exposure.

Rainbow Science labs are A+++. The text is a little light for a visual learner who retains through reading, but I am holding onto this to use with my kinesthetic learner who remembers everything she "does." It includes a very thorough introduction to Physics, Chemistry, Life Science and Applications (Earth & Space). I don't believe Apologia does any Chemistry in their General or Physical Science books. I really like the level of depth covered by Rainbow - it's just right for a middle schooler with no previous study of these topics.

Rainbow Science labs are A+++. The text is a little light for a visual learner who retains through reading, but I am holding onto this to use with my kinesthetic learner who remembers everything she "does." It includes a very thorough introduction to Physics, Chemistry, Life Science and Applications (Earth & Space). I don't believe Apologia does any Chemistry in their General or Physical Science books. I really like the level of depth covered by Rainbow - it's just right for a middle schooler with no previous study of these topics.
:001_smile: Yay, I'm glad to hear you say that! I bought Rainbow Science for dd to start mid-year, once she finished NOEO Chem 2, but she did so much extra stuff (researching on her own, so I didn't want to stop her!) with it, that we will be doing the Rainbow next year in 7th grade.

Another thing to look at, for the OP, is NOEO Sciences. My dd really enjoyed it this year!