Menu

Question about Brewer's Yeast

I recently read an article about a woman who was able to avoid thyroid medication for an underactive thyroid by supplementing with

brewer's yeast. Is this the yeast that causes yeast infections or yeast overgrowth? In other words, might you be bringing on another problem in an attempt to nourish the thyroid or is this Brewer's Yeast something different altogether?

Brewer's Yeast is different from baker's yeast. You can't use it to bake bread. It's high in B vitamins (I think) and tastes NASTY. I can take some nasty things, but that's one that I really cannot handle. :tongue_smilie: That's all I know about Brewer's Yeast. :D

I would say no, it is not like the cooking kind, it is nutritional. Have you tried kelp? Also do you avoid soy? The brewer's yeast has good quality b vitamins. I would make sure any vitamins you take are food based, and not artificial. There are some good thyroid herbal formulas that are inexpensive.

I have no source with which to back this claim because I can't remember where I heard it, but I heard that nutritional yeast is a better choice than brewer's yeast. Neither one will cause Candida overgrowth, that's a whole different thing. I don't mind the taste of nutritional yeast, I've gotten used to it. To me it goes well with banana, so I "dip" bananas into the flakes.

I have to echo MomLovesClassics and say avoid soy completely, eat kelp, nori, or any other sea vegetable, and I'd also like to add use sea salt rather than iodized table salt, and take cod liver oil for the Vitamin A (which is a precursor to thyroid hormones).