Menu

BJU- Question from POST BELOW

What about their curriculum? I see that you all are so crazy over their University policies but what about the DVD's themself? Are they teaching the "one world" view now thru the dvd or are they ok regardless of the recent so-called apology?

Their DVDs reflect absolutely NOTHING of all the stuff that is talked about in that thread.

We have been using their DVD program for two years for 4-6th grade and I have never seen or read anything in their curriculum that made me uncomfortable. I had no idea about the issues at the University level until I read the other post.

We DVD program has been a life saver for me and a great fit for our family so we will be using it again next year.

I've only used their books, not their DVDs and I was totally unaware of any of the issues. Those policies and views are not reflected in the elementary curriculums that I have seen. I would not use the materials if I saw that.

That said, I am an old earth Christian and don't agree with all the religious views expressed in the BJU materials. I don't have any trouble discussing viewpoints that differ from my own with my kids. I think BJU science is the best hs science product. That is what I base my decision to use it on. By the time we get to high school, I think we will probably switch to a secular product, but I will miss having a product that is well designed for the homeschool market.

As I tried to express over and over again in the "other" thread...

BJU's curriculum, including DVDs, do not include any type of hate, or racism for any people group whatsoever. :confused: I have not seen even a glimpse of such nonsense. If you are a conservative protestant Christian, you should not have any major issues with what BJU teaches. They are unashamedly young earth creationists though, so if that is a problem that you cannot work around then I would steer clear of their Science. They do not go on and on about it, but they will say thousands instead of millions, and give biblical proof of what they believe and why in regards to the theory of Evolution.

And even though someone in the other thread mentioned anti-Catholic statements, I have not seen anything like that in the materials we have used. I imagine BJU will stand against Catholic doctrine at some point though, so I have no doubt it is at least adressed. In fact, I would be highly surprised if it were not, especially when addressing the Reformation. ;)

We used the BJU DVD program, and I must admit that my mom noticed a few anti-Catholic sentiments, but not many (and they were subtle,) and I know that at least once, the comments were made by a "guest" in the video classroom, not by the teacher. I think the comments were in the 3rd grade program, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Overall, though, our experience (through 4th grade) was very positive and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DVD program to others.

Cat

I've used BJU science for 6 years. We've also used some of their grammar and reading, and their heritage studies. I did not care for heritage studies due to the way they present their material - by topic not chronology.

However, I did find their science 7 to be "heavy handed" in presenting their dominion doctrine in the first unit. This was something that could have been easily skipped or used as a spring board for discussion.

The question of whether or not to use BJU or anyone else's curriculum must be made based on many factors. Some have stated they have never or will never use BJU based on the University. I have friends who wont shop at WalMart because of various issues. Each family must make choices they can support.

I have not seen any BJU high school so I cannot comment on the content or subject matter. Like everything, look, research, and make the best choice for your family