Menu

I am walking in circles...

We have to be out of this house in 25 days. We are definitely downsizing. I have to get rid of a bunch of crap, have a garage sale and pack what we are taking. And what am I doing with my free Sunday? Reading these boards, occasionally getting up to walk through the house to start somewhere. I do a lap around the house, then I come sit my keister back in front of this screen. Where do I go to buy some motivation? :driving: Anyone?

LOL, we're not moving but we have a LOT that needs to get done today and this week. And I'm finding myself sitting here at my computer very often, while I rest. I think I'd be better off just turning off the computer, to remind myself that it is off limits unless I actually NEED to use it.

This is only if it is applicable to your situation...

Forget the garage sale. I HATE getting ready for them. They are SO. MUCH. WORK.

Drive your van up to the back door and start filling it up with stuff you want to get rid of, and tomorrow, first thing in the morning, drive to the nearest thrift store and DROP. IT. OFF.

That just might be enough of an incentive to get you going. :lol:

Jean

Drive your van up to the back door and start filling it up with stuff you want to get rid of, and tomorrow, first thing in the morning, drive to the nearest thrift store and DROP. IT. OFF.

Jean

:iagree: That is the best advice I could give as well. A Garage sale is just not worth the time/money. Just donate donate donate and don't look back.

Oh...and turning off the computer might be a good idea too, although I'm not going to give it a try just yet. :lol: We had our carpets cleaned last Thursday and so we have furniture all over the place that needs to be moved back in original location...I'm so overwhelmed, that I'm just sitting here surfing. :auto:

Blessings,

Angela

Jean

I don't want to do a garage sale. I loathe doing garage sales. But, we are downsizing and I need to sell some big things like beds, couches, a bunch of kitchen stuff, dressers, a washer and dryer. We are going from 2400 sq. feet to about 1200. Some of the furniture was bought by DH's ex when they were married and I just don't want it anymore. I figure I can make some good money with these items to put toward buying new things. I will not sell clothes, though. I am donating bags full to Goodwill. I want to move into the new place with as little as possible and then work towards replacing it. Thank you for the advice. Wish I could take it...:001_smile:

Edited by Rich with Kids
Forgot to thank you!

Here is your pep talk...

You have 25 days to get out of your house. That is 3 weekends away. If you do a garage sale one weekend, that leaves 2 weekends...4 days to to it all. If you get up off your butt today, you are adding 1 day of productive work, there by decreasing your workload on the future days by 20%. If you have any commitments on any upcomming weekend...you are in big trouble! If you have an average house, 3 bed-2bath-1 kitchen-living-dining-family/den/bonus room-garage.

That calculates to being

3 bedrooms=1 day

1 kitchen+2 baths= 1 day

1 living/dining/family....=1 day

final day of packing needed items

this equals 4 days!

And you have to clean the house, move the items and presumably set up at the new house.....oh, by the way.....don't you homeschool? There isn't time to be really productive in the evenings when you are taking care of a family and sorting items for the garage sale...remember that one? I assume in the next 25 days you are going to hit the wall, need a sunshine break and have other obligations to take care of...if you waste today... you are using your 1 day...your 1 day of flexibility for the Internet. Everything said here, has been said in the past, and will be said again in the future. We love you, we need you, but your family, house and responsibilities need you more, and you need to prioritize that above us.

You don't need to leave us, you do need to minimize your role here. You need to prioritize your other family and house right now.

Now, if you find yourself, wistfully looking our way, see the blue glow of the monitor drawing you in, remember that if you set a goal a day, and complete your goal, you are welcome to come chat, visit, offer support, ask questions, whatever...for a preset amount of time, and stick to it.

Be the role model of a mom your kids need right now. Be the mom and household manager you know you need to be right now. Now go, do, accomplish!

Here is your pep talk...

You have 25 days to get out of your house. That is 3 weekends away. If you do a garage sale one weekend, that leaves 2 weekends...4 days to to it all. If you get up off your butt today, you are adding 1 day of productive work, there by decreasing your workload on the future days by 20%. If you have any commitments on any upcomming weekend...you are in big trouble! If you have an average house, 3 bed-2bath-1 kitchen-living-dining-family/den/bonus room-garage.

That calculates to being

3 bedrooms=1 day

1 kitchen+2 baths= 1 day

1 living/dining/family....=1 day

final day of packing needed items

this equals 4 days!

And you have to clean the house, move the items and presumably set up at the new house.....oh, by the way.....don't you homeschool? There isn't time to be really productive in the evenings when you are taking care of a family and sorting items for the garage sale...remember that one? I assume in the next 25 days you are going to hit the wall, need a sunshine break and have other obligations to take care of...if you waste today... you are using your 1 day...your 1 day of flexibility for the Internet. Everything said here, has been said in the past, and will be said again in the future. We love you, we need you, but your family, house and responsibilities need you more, and you need to prioritize that above us.

You don't need to leave us, you do need to minimize your role here. You need to prioritize your other family and house right now.

Now, if you find yourself, wistfully looking our way, see the blue glow of the monitor drawing you in, remember that if you set a goal a day, and complete your goal, you are welcome to come chat, visit, offer support, ask questions, whatever...for a preset amount of time, and stick to it.

Be the role model of a mom your kids need right now. Be the mom and household manager you know you need to be right now. Now go, do, accomplish!

Thank you! It worked. I'm going to sort clothes now and fill up the van!

Later, ladies! I'll check in later. Briefly...:D

I don't want to do a garage sale. I loathe doing garage sales. But, we are downsizing and I need to sell some big things like beds, couches, a bunch of kitchen stuff, dressers, a washer and dryer. We are going from 2400 sq. feet to about 1200. Some of the furniture was bought by DH's ex when they were married and I just don't want it anymore. I figure I can make some good money with these items to put toward buying new things. I will not sell clothes, though. I am donating bags full to Goodwill. I want to move into the new place with as little as possible and then work towards replacing it. Thank you for the advice. Wish I could take it...:001_smile:

Are you listing the large items on Craig's List? If you do that, and include pictures, you may get rid of them faster. Or is there a consignment shop that you could take them to? You could put an ad in the Classifieds.

I hope you get it all done smoothly and with sanity intact.

Are you listing the large items on Craig's List? If you do that, and include pictures, you may get rid of them faster. Or is there a consignment shop that you could take them to? You could put an ad in the Classifieds.

:iagree: I'm so agreeable today. I second Craig's list. I've had great luck with selling somewhat large items quickly.

I'm off to work on my garden and laundry.

Blessings,

Angela

Yup!! I sold a couch, a dining room set, and a bedroom set in less than 12 hours on craigslist!!!! WAY BETTER than a garage sale. I am giving clothes to the Goodwill...no sale for that either. :tongue_smilie: