Menu

I am so bummed out!

Two of our neighbors had bees swarm to trees in their yards. One called a beekeeper who charged him $75 to remove them. The other called an exterminator who charged $200 to KILL them.

I have a friend who keeps bees and would remove them for nothing. I can't believe they killed those bees.

Two of our neighbors had bees swarm to trees in their yards. One called a beekeeper who charged him $75 to remove them. The other called an exterminator who charged $200 to KILL them.

I have a friend who keeps bees and would remove them for nothing. I can't believe they killed those bees.

:001_huh:

Amazing, the things we do for our own convenience.

Edited by Crissy

I would love it if someone would come to my house each spring and take the bees away so they were not harmed, but no one will. I have called several honey places locally, the extension office, and so on, but they won't come get them. We have to kill them, because my son is highly allergic to them and all those epi pens are not good for him (benadryl does not work on bees for him). If there really is a bee problem we sure don't know about it, things have not changed in 9 years here *sigh*. It seems like there are more cases of bees hiding in house wall around here each year though.

Those people were probably just looking out for their kids or trying to prevent the bees from living in their houses.

I have heard of a bee problem, but I can relate to bees in the house. I was 8 months pregnant with baby #3 and had a 7yo and 3yo. The bees built a hive in our chimney and every afternoon (during the Texas heat) the hive would move into my living room. My windows looked like the pictures of a hive with bees slowly walking all over them. This always happened when we were napping, so I would wake up living on the inside of a bee hive.

I called to have someone take care of them to be told "ma'am bees don't bring the hive into someone's house"!?

Then what was I looking at I wondered. The only people that would come were exterminators.

I could not live with the bees (literally).

Are you sure they were honeybees? Because yellow jackets, wasps and ground bees (aggressive) are not in short supply.

ETA: We've dealt with wasps for years simply by removing their nests as they build them (ON my house!) but had to call an exterminator when yellow jackets built their nest in the wall. I discovered a swarm in my closet and that was enough for me. Bees - in my CLOSET! :ohmy:

Edited by darlasowders

Oh, that makes me sick. DH kept bees for years, and we had them up until two years ago and finally sold the last 4 hives off. DH has MS so it left me with the beekeeping. I'm not very knowledgable compared to him, but we would go and get people's swarms for free as he didn't want any bees harmed.

I can't believe someone told you bees don't go into someone's house when it is hot, of course they do if there hive is there. All they need is one tiny crack to start a colony. If they have a hive and it is hot, they move outside the hive to cool themselves (and sometimes do that cool little dance/bee shuffle thing).

To those who have bees and want them removed and can't find someone, try posting on Craigslist that you have bees and want them removed. You could possibly find someone that way.