Menu

Need Christian themed book suggestions for 12.5 yo dd...

She burns through books sooo quickly, and it is beyond exhausting! I cannot take one more trip to the library-to weed through all the trashy books aimed at her reading level(upper highschool/college). The last two trips, I have pre-read, and that is okay-but to a point! I have my own reading stack to tackle!;)

I would love,love good read suggestions with a Christian theme. She prefers modern fiction for her free reads(which is the point of this post).

Thank you!!

Here are some titles that come to mind:

Catherine Marshall's two novels : Christy and Julie

Girl of Limberlost, Freckles, and Harvester by Gene Stratton Porter

George McDonald's Books.

Not very modern, but enjoyable.

HTH!

I know this sounds so antithetical to the WTM approach, but have you looked at the BJU lit? You can use their bibliography to select whole books. I've got an entire box of delicious books I ordered through paperbackswap using the BJU lit 7 list. The stuff is AMAZING, broad, and way beyond what I would have found myself. I've made other posts with lists of some of them. Ok, it's not all modern, but I think that's a potential trap, to say you only like modern stuff. Much of the stuff is early or mid 20th century, which seems good to me. (not post-christian, even if not explicitly christian) I think from the lit 7 on, you'd probably be fine pulling from any of the lists. (Emily Dickinson is ageless.)

Thanks, for all of the ideas!

I should have explained in my post, that I am searching for freetime reading only. Dd has to read herself to sleep, and what she reads, needs to be kept light and fun. No heavy drama,etc. She only reads modern fiction at bedtime-and I am perfectly fine with that.;)

Off to the library...:auto:

Have you thought of doing some of the Sonlight readers or read alouds? Instead of doing the ones on her grade level just move her ahead some. I do not know exactly what type they are but I know that I have yet to hear any complaints on them. Most people say the children can't put them down. Just a suggestion.

Anything by Lori Wick, Janette Oke, or Grace Livingston Hill. The Grace Chapel Inn series. If she likes things a little more tense and thriller style, Karen Kingsbury has some good ones. Some of the Melody Carlson things written for teens are good, but I'd recommend prescreening them, depending on how impressionable your daughter is. (Melody Carlson deals with a lot of real-life teen issues with a Christian twist, so sex, drugs, abortion, suicide, wicca, etc. are involved in her books.)