Menu

Help me decide on 5th grade grammar

HSMom2One

We went with Shurley Grammar for 3rd and 4th grades, but are feeling the need for a change. Since I only school one child (10yo dd going into grade 5) we'd like to have a curriculum that is not so geared toward a whole classroom. Shurley has been good, but we need to take another approach.

• We will be using TOG next year and I have looked briefly at Easy Grammar that is recommended there. I've also checked into R&S. It seems that EG doesn't teach on classifying sentences, but R&S does. How important of a difference would that be for a 5th grader?

• I'd also like to know if EG and R&S are as teacher intensive as Shurley.

• I have purchased Writing Strands and plan to use it either for a summer study or along with next year's composition. Would adding that to the mix make too much work for dd?

• What would be your recommendation for us?

Thanks for your input and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I haven't used EG, so I can't comment on that. But we've used R&S, and it was GREAT for my kids! The Teacher Guides are fantastic! We actually did most of the work orally. I didn't make them write down everything, which slows kids down and makes them hate grammar! We did some work on the white board, which is much more interesting and fun than a piece of paper and a pencil! :) I did have them write out most of the diagramming they did. I had the worksheets book, but only used them if they had problems and needed extra help in a certain area. I DID have them take the tests. If they got below 80% we reviewed the chapter again, concentrating on the trouble spots, then I'd have them retake the test. They rarely got below 90%, but occasionally we had to resort to that. I always had them fix their errors before moving on. We probably only spent 15-20 minutes a day. I would do other things while they did their diagramming, on the white board, then come check it and go over it with them. So for us, no, it was not teacher intensive! Even with that much per day, they learned it very well!

If she has a different writing program, you wouldn't have to do the writing assignments in the R&S books. You'd just concentrate on the grammar sections. By doing it orally, it helped me learn better grammar as well, and made it more fun. By 7th grade, though, they're on their own, because it's past my level!:blink::blushing:

The R&S grammar is good solid grammar with diagramming, which helps the kids REALLY understand the parts of a sentence. My kids and I had struggled to find something, so when we started R&S, we ended up using a level lower than their grade level to make sure they understood it without being overwhelmed, and could build a strong base. It worked well for us! We're that way anyway, we just use levels, which has nothing to do with their grade, it's just levels they are working at that subject.

Hopefully this gives you an overview of R&S. Best wishes deciding!

I am using Abeka 5 next year with my 5th grader and Sandi Queen's Language Lessons for the Secondary Child vol 1.

Does this include composition since it is listed as language arts? I don't know that much about Abeka, except that TWTM recommends it. I'm not sure if it would be a good fit with TOG, but would like input from others before making any conclusions.

Lucinda

I am schooling three dc, but they're all on their own level, so I only do one at a time. I also buy the worksheets. We do most of the lesson orally, and if there is a worksheet, they do that as well.

I can't compare it to any other program, because besides FLL 1 & 2, it's the only grammar I've ever used.

HTH.

Thanks so much for the input and suggestions. I got so much positive information from each of you. After looking further and having conversations with moms over on the TOG forum, I have decided to go with EG. From what I'm hearing and reading about it, I think it will cover everything we will need while allowing plenty of time for composition lessons included in TOG.

I'm really looking forward to dd's next year of school!

Blessings,

Lucinda