Menu

quick! How do I stop a bloody nose?

Our ped. said to pinch the bridge of the nose, (not the nostrils) and have them press on the gums right above the front teeth. Not sure about head placement, except you don't want them to lie down. Forgot to add that sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes to stop, but usually a little quicker.

Praying for you right now.

Edited by Ferdie

I've never had to deal with this before. Unbelievable, I know but still...

Anyway, my 9yo dd has a bloody nose, and I'm not sure how to stop it. I hae her pinching it with a tissue and tipping her head down (chin to chest). Is that right? And how long should it take?

We tip the head forward to prevent the blood from sliding down the back of the throat. We shove tissue up the offending nostril and apply pressure. It can take some time. My dd gets them all the time when it is dry out, something she inherited from dh.

We always tipped forward to prevent pooling of blood in the sinuses. As a kid with allergies, I got bloody noses often. My mom used to have me tip back. I smelled blood for days and I got an upset stomach from the blood. When we mentioned it to the doc, he scolded my mom for not knowing this. Funny, I am the 5th out of 6th, you'd think it would have come up before then.

If the bleeding is persistant you can us a cold rag on the bridge of the nose when pinching it and in extreem cases I have put an ice cube in the rage so it stays cold. My two get bloody noses often.

You can get little sailyn bottles and use that in the nose. This helps hydrate the tissues without using the neosporin.

For future reference, ds22 is a certified Red Cross instructor and he says the latest treatment is to tilt the head forward and put ice on the back of the neck. We were at a friend's house last night when their 5yo son developed a sudden nosebleed and that is what we did per my son's instructions. It cleared up right away.