Menu

I went to the store today and bought (insert item here) only to discover that.......

I went to the store today and bought....

...Skittles only to discover that it isn't a 16 oz package anymore.

....Dorito's has changed to a slimmer and taller packaging and is advertising it as '20% more', when it is still the SAME size as before.

...eggs went up $.25 a dozen.

...Kids Vitamin supplements have increased in size (instead of 175 tablets, you get 190) but the price has gone up a whopping $2.00!

...mouthwash is no longer 1 Liter.

On the other hand..... I did find a few great buys. Butter and cheese were on sale!!!!

Vent over! Thank you!

Edited by Shenan

have you noticed how small the standard 2qt container of ice cream has gotten. some store brands are still 2 qts, but many national brands are 1.75 or 1.5 qts.

This has happened for years. i got a cookie recipe in the late 80s that called for an 8 oz hershey bar. Hersheys had changed their standard to 7 oz by the time the recipe was passed to me.

However, the resizing has accelerated over the last couple of years.

have you noticed how small the standard 2qt container of ice cream has gotten. some store brands are still 2 qts, but many national brands are 1.75 or 1.5 qts.

This has happened for years. i got a cookie recipe in the late 80s that called for an 8 oz hershey bar. Hersheys had changed their standard to 7 oz by the time the recipe was passed to me.

However, the resizing has accelerated over the last couple of years.

Yes I did notice the Ice cream. Due to the downsizing of ice cream we now have to purchase 2 tubs for an ice cream event!

I also forgot to mention my 3 lb tub of butter is no longer 3 Lb. :glare:

Maybe it's just me, but I find it so aggravating... WHY change the packaging and not the price? I feel like they are trying to 'pull one over' on me intentionally. Why be sly about it and not straight forward? I guess this is what bothers me about the packaging size changes.

I understand the sales pitch reasoning/consumer buying practices, etc. behind it. I just feel like its sneaky and not honest. I think it has the exact opposite effects on me as the manufacturers are hoping to achieve with it.

jmho,

---shrinking it down by half and then calling it "concentrated"-it is one of my biggest rants!!!!!!!!!! I started making my own in protest, but with our hard water stuff was dingy so I'm back at their mercy. So now I use about a tablespoon per load in protest! :glare: :glare:

---shrinking it down by half and then calling it "concentrated"-it is one of my biggest rants!!!!!!!!!! I started making my own in protest, but with our hard water stuff was dingy so I'm back at their mercy. So now I use about a tablespoon per load in protest! :glare: :glare:

Too FUNNY! I did the same thing! I too have hard water and am having the best luck with this recipe:

1 bar of Fels Naptha soap

1/2 cup of Borax

1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

I actually made a post about it on my blog TODAY! Too coincidental!

Did you know that bleach and hard water do not get along. So if you have to whiten something you should use something like Oxyclean (I forgot the chemical's name). Our water softener guy educated me on this. Since then my whites have come out whiter instead of browner... :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Shenan
typing error

and they also poke litle conical shapes in the bottle of jars - peanut butter, jelly, mayonaise, etc. so that the amount looks the same to the buyer. They keep the price the same but sell you less product. Heard about it on NPR and went to my local store to check it out.......yup........

Too FUNNY! I did the same thing! I too have hard water and am having the best luck with this recipe:

1 bar of Fels Naptha soap

1/2 cup of Borax

1/2 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

I actually made a post about it on my blog TODAY! Too coincidental!

Did you know that bleach and hard water do not get along. So if you have to whiten something you should use something like Oxyclean (I forgot the chemical's name). Our water softener guy educated me on this. Since then my whites have come out whiter instead of browner... :tongue_smilie:

Ah that is the recipe I use too!! I actually posted it up here somewhere in one of these threads. :)

Hah! I had to come back online this evening and post this!:

The kids had activities at the church this evening. On the way home my ds sad "Mom, the Pastor was passing out snack size Skittles to all the kids' (something the Pastor does every week) "and the kids were complaining about how much smaller the package looked and the Pastor said 'Yeah, they changed the packaging.'. Mom how come they are making the snack sizes smaller?"

OK. NOW the kids are noticing, its not just the wise consumer! ;)

Oh, good--I've been wanting to vent about this one for months! COSTCO is selling different Charmin toilet paper, it's not nearly as soft. :( It's still Charmin, but it's just not the same.

I tried that stuff -"Budget Charmin" - it was awfull - I've only seen it at one sotre here though.