Menu

Do you teach when you are sick??

We have been sick as a family on and off for the past 9 weeks. I now have a nasty sinus infection and feel lousy, but better than yesterday when I finally broke down and went to the doctor after suffering for quite a few days. I couldn't even drive my 5 yo to pre-k yesterday because I felt so horrible (she goes tues and thurs, and I homeschool her two of the other three days).

So....when you are sick like this, do you bag it, or try to eek out some teaching? Our illnesses have really cut into the girls' education these past two months. I know they are only 5 and 3, but I am trying to create some kind of formality in their schedule in anticipation for full-time HS after PreK lets out in a few weeks.

When I am sick I do a modified "couch school" :) which mainly consists of the kids reading next to me and doing a little work (math) that they can bring to me to check. Oh and latin review with flashcards and such. Then I have the kids draw or do some fun writing (i.e. draw a picture of a knight and then write 2-3 sentences about knights). It's very laid back but I don't feel guilty cause we still did school.

Here's a few thoughts on how my to shool or not to school decision tree works. Please note this is what works for this family and each family is different.

What is necessary for me to function/ return to health?

If sickness mine or the kids has stolen sleep, then there's a good chance eveyone will have quiet time for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

What skill(s) is each child working on right now that have the highest priority?

a 3yr old might be working on using words to say "stop!" instead of solving problems with screaming or hitting etc.

a 5 year old might be working on putting things away the first time, and maybe if we've started sight words, number words, or phonetic reading we need to review twice a week in order not to forget everything.

In hindsight now that my kids are 9,7,and 5 the sickness aren't lasting as long as they were at 5,3, and 1.

The biggest help was in allowing myself and the kids a week or two at a slower pace to get our habits built back up. At 5, 3, and 1 we'd start at about 1/4 the amount of work, adding one new area / week. Now that they are older we can start out at about 3/4 pace.

The hardest decisions to make were in saying no to activities I would normally say yes to. Those habit building weeks would not build a habit if we were not at home. I could add in library, neighbor visits, or a tumbling class after we were back in the habit of school.

For my personality, I always wonder if I've chosen best when my kids are not working on something I've planned. :tongue_smilie: It has been a long growing struggle to let them learn how to self regulate during play/free time.

Sick times are when we've made the biggest gains. They come up with the most fascinating games. Now they'll even make toys for eachother to play with. Learning to invent play and control oneself is a more important goal for 3,4, and 5 than any "school" I can pour into them.

Big Hugs:grouphug: