Menu

Sonlight Core A: anybody else looking at this for next year?

Rhondabee

DD will be 3yo in June. I'd like to have a little bit more for her next year. I know this isn't scheduled out like a regular SL IG, but I admit it looks like fun!

Of course, next thing you know I'll be wanting to combine SL with BFIAR ~ which I've been looking forward to for 2 1/2 years :p.

Ugh - it never gets easier, does it?

:)

My sister will be using Core A with her two and four year olds. I am a bit envious. I would have loved to be able to do that core with my children. I did purchase one of the books from Core A to give to my sister's children, but my five year old (he's doing Core C now) fell in love with it and won't give it up. And, I don't have the heart to make him (yet) because I love it, too! Looks like a fun core. Alot of fairy tales and my children don't really like those, but overall, I think we would have enjoyed it.

I did just borrow my sister's copy of Ian and the Green Leafy Obstacle (I think that's the name or pretty close). My Ker really liked it.

Have you seen the IG? I really like the way it is set up. No, it's not on a grid but it looks easy to follow and I like all the little side notes and motivating messages. I like it MUCH better than the old PK IG that I have. I guess that is now Core B.

We're using it this year, even though dd will be 5 soon. The books are not too babyish, in fact ds listens in happily and learned a lot from the Flip Flap Body Book. You could easily combine it with B4FIAR. A lot of the stories are classics and any library will have them in individual books so that's a way to cut expenses or book overflow in your house if you have these issues. The IG is underwhelming but it does give you access to the SL forums for $10, so I'd probably get it again.

I came on to post that my awesome sister just purchased the bulk of Core A for my kiddos and here you guys are already discussing it. It was better than Christmas. Yes, my sister is Donna T. who posted above and no you guys cannot claim her. She is mine! I did not get all of the resources because many of them are available in my library and I already had a few, but what we did receive is just perfect. My 2 yo and 4 yo are addicted now. They used to sleep until about 7:00 or 7:30 in the morning. Now I am promptly awaken at 5:15 by the stapping corners of the ten pound "Harper Collins Picture Book Classics." This has happened four mornings in a row. They love the stories and I can now see the benefit of owning the books even if the library has them, especially for this core when its just reading good books. The kids have bonded with them even though we have a house full of books.

I like the IG because it really is no pressure. I like that you can read the books and still have time to do some great activities.

Laurel

Hi! My dd who'll be 3 in the summer is definitely ready to do something a little more structured. She already reads a lot. With me, Dad, and big brother who is 12 and big sister who is 10. Plus, she can read books to herself for long stretches of time. My question is, what is included in the SL IG for Core A? I can get a lot of those books at my library and we already have some of them. DD got the teddy bear mix n match for Christmas. Are there activities to go along with the books? Do you focus on a letter or a number? This has intrigued me and I want to know more!

angie

The activities in the IG are pretty basic, like make cookies when you read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, or build with blocks, etc. Things you probably would have thought of anyway. The only reason I've found the IG useful is just that it makes me feel like I did something just for my 3 yr old who can get overlooked with all the big kids school work I have to help with; and while the 3 yr old does get read to a lot anyway, a lot of it was him listening to his siblings read alouds, or bedtime stories. Now I make a special time for just him and I (20 minutes or so after lunch) and he picks 3 stories from Core A and we cuddle on my bed and read them.

I do like the selections in core A and my ds adores the Teddy game, we've played it endlessly since getting it. I think Mighty Mind is better for slightly older kids though.

Really, you could compile a list of picture book classics or poll other hsing moms for their favs and buy them at a used book store and make time to read them with your little everyday and have the same experience.

I have the 20th Century book here already, and I've used it. But, I much prefer to get the "real" books from the library.

You are probably right, though, about the pure convenience of it all. (Not to mention the library somehow didn't "get" two books I'm sure I returned two weeks ago.)

I have a lot of the books here already, too. But, I'm definitely interested in getting the non-book items with the IG. Were you able to get any of those?

Thanks!

Rhonda