Menu

A question for Soph the vet, or anyone that has a teacup poodle

We have a 4-year old teacup poodle, Max. He weighs 2 1/2 pounds. He is losing the hair on the back of his hind legs. The area is completely bald. There are no sores, marks, smells, etc., just bare skin. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? It appears to be affecting both hind legs in the same pattern. I'm pretty certain it's not his shampoo or food.

Thanks!

I'm not positive, but I think it is dry skin. Our teacup is doing the exact same thing right now. The house we just moved into has gas heat and all of us are really feeling the effects of colder weathter/heat on more/dry air. (I can't tell you how many bottles of lotion we have gone through in the last 3 weeks!)

I also wondered if it could be an allergic reaction to something.....brand new carpet, etc. I'm not overly worried about it. (but pets rank really low on my radar for worry!!) Other than looking a little funny, he is totally fine. :)

Some colors have more sensitive skin than others, and it sounds like some sort of contact skin problem, you know, something new or different he's sitting on.

I confess to having to write "toy" because my mother showed and bred toy poodles for many years, and the AKC only recognizes "toy," not "teacup."

Some colors have more sensitive skin than others, and it sounds like some sort of contact skin problem, you know, something new or different he's sitting on.

I confess to having to write "toy" because my mother showed and bred toy poodles for many years, and the AKC only recognizes "toy," not "teacup."

He has some white on him, but he's mostly blackish gray. I think he's actually gotten a lot grayer in the last 6 months. He hasn't been exposed to anything new. He pretty much sleeps all of the time (always has), and he's usually on the couch. His hair isn't really even poodle curly anymore. If I didn't know better, I would think he was an old dog.

Hi Laura,

Symmetric hair loss on the hind limbs could be allergies or something like hypothyroidism. You haven't seen any fleas? Has he been scooting his bottom on the floor ( could be indicative of anal gland issues) or has he been chewing at his hind limbs. Some dogs with hip arthritis will do this although he is young. If he has been on the same food for a couple of years you may want to switch the protein source (i.e. chicken) to a protein he has never had and make sure that corn and wheat are not high on the ingredient list. They can also have allergies to treats, so carrots are a good treat for dogs with skin issues. Seasonal allergies like pollen may be kicking up in Virginia as well.

Hi Laura,

Symmetric hair loss on the hind limbs could be allergies or something like hypothyroidism. You haven't seen any fleas? Has he been scooting his bottom on the floor ( could be indicative of anal gland issues) or has he been chewing at his hind limbs. Some dogs with hip arthritis will do this although he is young. If he has been on the same food for a couple of years you may want to switch the protein source (i.e. chicken) to a protein he has never had and make sure that corn and wheat are not high on the ingredient list. They can also have allergies to treats, so carrots are a good treat for dogs with skin issues. Seasonal allergies like pollen may be kicking up in Virginia as well.

He doesn't have any fleas (never has), and he used to eat Eukanuba but about 3 months ago I switched him to Science Diet. He doesn't chew, scratch, or scoot, and we don't give him treats. He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or ill, but he has always been a rather stupid dog. I love him, but he is really, really stupid. I realize his brain is probably the size of a pecan, so I don't hold it against him. Did I mention he is stupid? :D

Hypothyroidism may be a possibility. He is sooooo little, and he has always been a very shaky dog. He shakes a lot. A lot.

Thanks for your help. I won't be able to take him in for another couple of weeks because the vet is booked and I'm not even sure it's something I should be too concerned about unless his symptoms change. Thanks again!

Did the hair get thinner when you switched foods? Just a thought. Hypothyroidism is unlikely as usually those dogs are larger breeds, overweight and act like they are cold all the time. They can also be itchy. Is he neurotic?:) Some neurotic dogs will pull their own hair out (more common in cats though) if their world has been disturbed in some way.

Did the hair get thinner when you switched foods? Just a thought. Hypothyroidism is unlikely as usually those dogs are larger breeds, overweight and act like they are cold all the time. They can also be itchy. Is he neurotic?:) Some neurotic dogs will pull their own hair out (more common in cats though) if their world has been disturbed in some way.

Well, I don't know if he's neurotic. I don't think he has enough brain capacity to be neurotic. ;)

I'm just not sure what it could be, but I will switch his food back in case that could be the problem. I noticed last night that his hair is really thinning everywhere and he has a bald patch on the back of both ears as well. Thanks so much for all of your help!