Menu

Milling Your Own Grain 101

I've mostly skipped over these posts about how to make your own flour and the merits of one mill over another, but now I am wondering if maybe this isn't something I might consider.

So can you tell me why you mill your own grain? Is it tastier? Cheaper? Healthier? All of the above?

Thanks so much,

Terri

All of the above. Well, it actually might not be less expensive, but if it is not, it is not much more expensive. I was very leary, and never thought much of it either because I am a picky eater (long story, my parents never made me eat anything I didn't want to), but it was really good. It is so much healthier, and it is so easy.

I don't think it's cheaper or easier to do. (Although it's not hard; it's just not easier than buying bags of flour & it's a bit of a hassle to have giant buckets of grain sitting around.) It is absolutely tastier & healthier. It's also nice to be able to grind some flour when I'm out rather than running to the store. I am truly surprised at how much better my baked goods taste with freshly ground flour. Yum!!

Good to hear. I'll keep looking into it. I realized the Bread Beckers (Breadbeckers?) are at the homeschool fair I'm attending at the end of this month. I had no idea that their store is only about a half-hour from my house. I will go to one of their seminars at the convention and see what they have to say.

Terri

Well, I usually grind my own flour. I ran out of wheat berries from my food coop and had to buy flour from the store. ALL of my kids noticed the difference in the bread. They asked me to make sure and order the wheat berries from the coop again! LOL

I get pretty cheap berries. 50 pounds are $27.50. Organic. So, I think it's cheaper for me to do it this way.

But, the taste is just SOOO much better, IMHO!

I do it for the taste. Store-bought whole wheat flour tastes rancid, and it's too hard to find whole-wheat pastry flour in the stores.

For me, it's much cheaper to grind my own. I buy 40 pound bags of organic Montana Prairie Gold white wheat for $14 at my local Amish market.

Ria