Menu

Foreign Language for Kindergarten/1st

Amanda_Jo

My 5 year old is begging to start learning a foriegn language next year. She'll be doing mostly first grade academics, she'll be 6 in October.

What would you recommend? I'm thinking either just hold her off another year, or do Song School Latin or The Easy Spanish Junior.

I have an "almost 6" year old boy who also loves foreign language. If you have ever considered French: We really enjoyed Bonjour Les Amis... even my 3 year old daughter enjoyed it and learned from it. It was just the right amount for K/1. It feels like so much time is spent on the reading, spelling, math and read alouds... I didn't want something that would require a great deal of time. The Song School Latin is on my radar for next year. Dana

We just got done with a 7 week co-op for Spanish. We used Salsa Spanish free videos and lesson plans. We did one video a week with activities. I made flashcards so the kids could study the words. At the end of the 7 weeks we learned 63 Spanish words and 2 songs.

I really like this program because it incorporates active learning styles, and is easy for someone that knows no Spanish to still be able to teach it. It also helps that it is free, and has enough episodes to keep us going for years.

HTH

The Easy Spanish Junior looks neat. I'm using KidSpeak 6 in 1, which is a computer program which teaches through games in a light way. I also have a good video called Cantemos. My plan for First Year is to use these resources as well as read ds a book once a week (in Spanish). I'm also going to move to Spanish for Children in 2nd Year.

We are doing "Hey Andrew, Teach Me some Greek" book 1 in 1st grade. dh has taken Greek in seminary (ds6 has been very interested in knowing what Daddy is reading) and we are spending a good 15 wks in FMOG...so it just fit. I plan on just taking it slowly, learning about a letter per week.

I have my eye on SSL too. My kids like the free demo:001_smile:

I'd really like my kids to do Latin and Greek simultaneously (and slowly) from a young age.

If I lived closer to MIL(she speaks Korean as a 1st language), I would change routes and teach Korean b/c I would have an irl tutor and I think young kids do best with just being immersed in the language.

Either way, I am stearing clear of the grammar side of things until they are mature enough to handle that.

We just got done with a 7 week co-op for Spanish. We used Salsa Spanish free videos and lesson plans. We did one video a week with activities. I made flashcards so the kids could study the words. At the end of the 7 weeks we learned 63 Spanish words and 2 songs.

I really like this program because it incorporates active learning styles, and is easy for someone that knows no Spanish to still be able to teach it. It also helps that it is free, and has enough episodes to keep us going for years.

HTH

I was just checking out the link you posted when Pirate came up sat on my lap and watched the whole thing. When it was over he wanted to watch another. Even if it is just for fun, I think we are going to add that. It will keep him occupied while I work with the older two. The activities are right up his alley too. Thank you!:)