Menu

For those who majored in nursing: would you recommend

taking Anatomy and Physiology I before biology? Dd has a scheduling issue (too complicated to go into here) and needs to take A&P I during the first summer session and A&P II the second summer session. Then, she can take microbiology in the fall. For some reason, a general biology class is not required. Currently she's taking chemistry.

She's trying to get the biology or microbiology requirement waived so she can take A&P this summer. However, even if the college allows her to do this, would you recommend it? How important would it be to have microbiology before A&P?

While we're on the subject, do you recommend taking A&P during a summer session? I believe it's a five or six week class. It meets four day a week for a couple of hours a day with a lab each afternoon. Sounds intense. She won't be working at this time so it would be a real focus on just this one class.

She's trying to get advice from other nursing majors, but I thought I'd ask here, too.

My A&P was split into two semesters (mostly A the first semester & P the second). I took Microbiology the same semester I took the 2nd semester of A&P. I envied my friends who took Microbioloy at the local cc during the summer. The got an easier class (not wanting to open up a whole can of worms...their course work was not as rigerous) and still got the transfer credit. I say this because Microbiology was one of my hardest classes and I didn't (still don't) see any real application to the rest of my degree or my career.

In my opinion the A&P class is the most important. I learned things in A&P that I still use today. If she has an opportunity to "focus" on A&P, I'd do that. I don't know why micro is required prior to A&P (at my college it could be taken before or concurrently with the 2nd semester of A&P).

Re-reading this I see it may be of little or no help to you, so take it for what its worth. :tongue_smilie:

My college did not require biology before A & P, so it was not an issue. I took two years of high school biology and I thought that was more than adequate preparation for the 2 A & P's. That said, my school was a real stickler about not waiving prereq's. I'm not sure how much luck she will have in getting that waived. Also, did I read correctly, she wants to waive micro as well? Usually micro is not a prerequisite to A &P because micro is a MUCH harder class. I'm sorry to say, you probably won't get them waived.

Edited by LilyK

If your school requires biology as a prerequisite for A and P I wouldn't attempt it unless she has had a very strong high school course for it, or is willing to do so before summer session I begins. It means that they're just going to assume all of the knowledge that they normally learn in bio.

taking Anatomy and Physiology I before biology? Dd has a scheduling issue (too complicated to go into here) and needs to take A&P I during the first summer session and A&P II the second summer session. Then, she can take microbiology in the fall. For some reason, a general biology class is not required. Currently she's taking chemistry.

She's trying to get the biology or microbiology requirement waived so she can take A&P this summer. However, even if the college allows her to do this, would you recommend it? How important would it be to have microbiology before A&P?

While we're on the subject, do you recommend taking A&P during a summer session? I believe it's a five or six week class. It meets four day a week for a couple of hours a day with a lab each afternoon. Sounds intense. She won't be working at this time so it would be a real focus on just this one class.

She's trying to get advice from other nursing majors, but I thought I'd ask here, too.

I would NOT take A & P in a summer session. It's a rough class and it's very important. I've been on both sides of this issue. I've been a nursing student and taught nursing at a community college.

It's not important to take microbiology before A & P.

I do not think it is wise to waive microbiology. It is also an important class.

I would NOT take A & P in a summer session. It's a rough class and it's very important.

It's not important to take microbiology before A & P.

I do not think it is wise to waive microbiology. It is also an important class.

:iagree:

I'm not a nurse, but I was married to a RT student who went on to become a PA. He spent hours and hours every week memorizing all the bones, all the muscles, all the blood vessels, all the parts of all the body systems. Hundreds and hundreds of terms. And, this was only the Anatomy! Memorizing all the physiology stuff wasn't any easier. While one could get away taking an A&P for NON-majors course in the summer (I did it), there's no way I would recommend taking a full-blown A&P course in the summer. The material is way too important for a medical professional, and needs time to get into long term memory. Taking a crash course in the summer wouldn't be adequate for long term retention (for most people).

I'd talk to your dd about possibly getting one or two of her general education requirements out of the way instead.