Menu

Fence etiquette needed!

Our neighbors own a chain link fence that is on the property line. It's a 3' chain link fence that's rusty and ugly. We definitely want a fence between the yards, but we don't want to look at that one anymore. If we were to put up a wood fence of our own to block the view, how far into our yard would we need to go? What would we need to put down to keep weeds from growing up between the fences? Do ugly fence owners usually take down their fence once the neighbors put up one right by it? Thanks for any input!

Our neighbors own a chain link fence that is on the property line. It's a 3' chain link fence that's rusty and ugly. We definitely want a fence between the yards, but we don't want to look at that one anymore. If we were to put up a wood fence of our own to block the view, how far into our yard would we need to go? What would we need to put down to keep weeds from growing up between the fences? Do ugly fence owners usually take down their fence once the neighbors put up one right by it? Thanks for any input!

Why not talk to them first?

If you're willing to pay for the new fence, why wouldn't they jump on taking down the old chain link? It would make the whole job easier.

Just ask the neighbors...;)

Bill

I would ONLY put it on the property line. Moving it in will establish a "new" property line in some cases. After so many years the other people can claim that property (my MIL had a huge property dispute over this issue).

I agree, let them know you'd like to REPLACE the chain link one and go from there.

I would ONLY put it on the property line. Moving it in will establish a "new" property line in some cases. After so many years the other people can claim that property (my MIL had a huge property dispute over this issue).

Yes! This happened to my sister, in another state. She told her husband she didn't think it was a good idea to put the fence inside the property line instead of right on it. He did it anyway. Now the neighbors claim that property, and it's a big mess.

We just put up a fence. You have to check the rules for your town. We are allowed to put the fence on our side of the property line. Whereas our garden wall had to be a foot off the property line. There are also height restrictions based on how far from the street you are.

Why don't you tell them that you're planning to put up a larger, wooden fence and ask if they'd like you to replace theirs on the boundary line, or just put yours up right in front of theirs? Then, if they don't wish to take it down and create a clean line, you've given them ample warning that there will be weed issues they'll have to look at on their side of the fence. You shouldn't really see any weeds, yourself, unless they allow them to get tree size....

You're already on your side of the line so you can butt your fence right up against the existing fence. You don't need to offset it. If you do offset and they remove their fence later, you've effectively lost that portion of your land as it will effectively become theirs through usage, even though legally it of course remains yours.