Menu

Organizing weekly/daily work.

How do you do it? I would like to print out all papers and assignments needed for the week, but am in a rut as to how to organize them.

I would love ideas...PLEASE!!!!! This is the area that I currently need the most help in. Getting it all organized in the morning or the night before is just taking too much time for me. Oh...logistics-wise. I have to get things ready for a 1st grader, kindergartner, and preschooler (I'm not counting the toddler!!).

TIA!!

Liz in NC

I bought each of my boys a set of pocket dividers and labeled them Monday-Friday. I bound each set using my Circa punch, but you could use 3 ring binders just as easily.

I place all their work in the front pocket for each day, and when they complete it they move it to the backside pocket. The older 3 get a checklist for all their assignments for the week.

It does take me awhile to get them ready on the weekends (I'm getting 5 ready), but it makes our school week run much more smoothly.

I print out a weekly spreadsheet for my ds and fill in the boxes on Saturday or Sunday before. Some are permanently filled in (like math) with an amount of time to be spent on that subject (so in the math box it just says "60 minutes). I always use pencil and I never print out more than a week ahead b/c things can always come up! Also, some boxes read, "See separate schedule." He uses the Sonlight schedules for Apologia, so he just refers to that to see what he needs to do. But, most boxes are filled in weekly by me. He checks things off as he completes them.

My ds then has a one-inch binder with tab dividers for subjects where he has worksheets. I print or tear them out and three-hole punch them and place them behind the proper divider. So, the grammar box on his spreadsheet will say, "Lesson 45, Worksheet 30). We do the lesson together and then he can find the needed worksheet behind the tab divider labeled grammar.

I have a desk apprentice with a hanging file where he drops things when he has completed them.

HTH.

The time tested teacher strategy for weekly papers is a day of the week folder like the PP mentioned. I don't have one for each student. I don't even have one for each day, but I do have a folder labeled "Weekly Papers". It is probably not as efficient as the "day of the week" folder, but it works fairly well for us.

Jennie

I am using Homeschool Tracker, a software program. Although there is a learning curve, and I'm still on it, it has been a help. Each week, I can go into the program and print each child's schoolwork. It can be very customized. I'm encouraged by my friends who have used it for years, and it really does work for them.

I bound each set using my Circa punch...

I hope the OP will forgive me for getting a bit off-topic, but JudoMom, could you tell me more about the Circa punch? Is it really worthwhile (I guess I mean worth the expense) to use one of these over a regular 3-ring binder?

I use a pair of bins: one for the current day and one for the next couple of weeks.

As I plan, I put all books & papers in the "upcoming" bin, in order of use - so if I get a stack of books from the library, I'll sort them into the order I want to use them and put them all in there, and insert worksheets or mapwork or whatever with the appropriate books. As I find something more for a certain day, I put it next to what I already have, so I can just grab the whole day's work at once.

After each "schoolday," I take what's done out of the day-bin and then put the next day's work in there, plus any craft supplies or whatever else I'll need. It's pretty easy because all that day's stuff is at the front of the "upcoming" bin. After the kids go to bed, I take the day-bin to the dining room so it's ready to start school in the morning.

Some things always stay in the day-bin: pencil box, scissors, stapler. Some things almost always stay in the day-bin: spelling books, math workbooks, SOTW text.

It sounds complicated, but really isn't. Getting from one day to the next takes about 2 minutes, and I do most of my planning a little at a time, accumulating a week or two ahead. It also makes it pretty easy to see when we're done for the day - the day-bin is empty after we've done everything.

I hope the OP will forgive me for getting a bit off-topic, but JudoMom, could you tell me more about the Circa punch? Is it really worthwhile (I guess I mean worth the expense) to use one of these over a regular 3-ring binder?

I just started a thread about this, as I was wondering the same thing!

Here it is. HTH!