Menu

ETC with a child that is still working on writing?

Mommy22alyns

Any ideas on how to work with ETC 1 so it doesn't involve as much handwriting? Sylvia does not like to write at all. She bailed out of a page that required 8 three letter words to be copied about halfway through and asked to just circle the words instead. I don't want to push the writing, but she wants to do school work and she is already reading.

Any ideas? I stopped ETC with Becca because we didn't discover it until she was 5 and I realized pretty quickly that it was just busywork.

ETC is really for learning to read. If your dd has done phonics and is reading, then ETC is totally not something I would do with her.

As to the writing...my son hated ETC when we started. He also wanted to take the easy way out and not do the work...however, I told him he would do 2 pages a day and he has! And since he started ETC, his writing has improved 10 fold! He actually learned to write with ETC rather than his handwriting program, believe it or not. Now he LOVES his ETC.

Another option, to get the ETC, but not the writing is to do the ETC online. You can get it through the Homeschool Buyers co-op for about half price (using a group buy). My son LOVES to do the online ETC even more so than the book work. https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=896

At that age, I would do oral spelling and "written" work with magnetic letters. Also, I think a white board is better for that age than a book. (You can use the book as a reference, just write words out on the white board.)

Oh, perfect! We have a big white board with AAS tiles - I can just have her spell the words with the tiles instead of writing them by hand. Thanks a ton!

Another option, to get the ETC, but not the writing is to do the ETC online. You can get it through the Homeschool Buyers co-op for about half price (using a group buy). My son LOVES to do the online ETC even more so than the book work. https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=896

Thank you for this idea... I am on the same path as the original post.... My son loves to play the computer too and this is a great way to let him learn while he does it!!!

You can have your dd "write" the words in a jelly roll pan filled with salt, sand or shaving cream. For many kiddos this tactile method is not only fun it will better cement their writing skills than using pencil paper.

Personally I would require some writing each day - a little done with excellence is better than a lot done with mediocrity, imho. Then once she has given her best effort to the first several words let her use the AAS tiles/jelly roll pan/magnetic letters...

Hope that helps!

We use ETC and I allow things like letting them dictate for part of the writing. We can work on writing separately ... mine develop reading skills faster than motor skills (though my youngest may be challenging me on that one!) so I figure, why hold 'em back? The ETC lessons worked for us for teaching phonics anyway. :)

Two things I have done

1. Have my dc dictate to me the letters to spell the words. I write the dictation in highlighter pen and my dc traces the words.

2. Type the answers in 26 point font. Double space between each letter. Cut out the letters. My dc then spells the words with the cut out letters and then pastes the words in the answer space.

I would use letter tiles if I had any. I have reading rods, but I don't have enough letters for my child to do a page worth of words or I would use those.

Two things I have done

1. Have my dc dictate to me the letters to spell the words. I write the dictation in highlighter pen and my dc traces the words.

:iagree: Also, for some of the exercises, I would let her skip the writing portion. For example, when the directions say to write the word and "x" the picture, she would read the word to me and x the picture, that's it.