Menu

I really need help with LA -- LLATL? MCT? CLE?

RanchGirl

My 9 year old son started LLATL - yellow (grade 3) yesterday and we did one week's worth in about 20 minutes. I looked through the whole book and realized he is already ahead of this level. (He has done Critical Thinking Language Smarts Level B workbook and a few other things and he is a very advanced reader and natural speller).

I like LLATL because it is based on literature which works well for him, he loves to read. I would not mind if it was something he could do more independently than LLATL but it's fine to do it together too. But I have read some really good things about both CLE and MCT lately and wonder if we would be better off with one of them?

I don't mind if handwriting is not included like LLATL because he is just learning cursive so I assume I will need to add a separate cursive program, he's been doing Reason for Handwriting so we can always continue with that in addition to the new LA.

My main concerns are:

(a) grammar -- covered thoroughly but not with a ton of drill/repitition - he learns new concepts quickly and I don't want it to become drudgery for him.

(b) writing practice -- beginning to write poetry, stories, reports, etc. This is an area where he does not excel and needs to be babystepped along.

© something that incorporates or is based on literature.

So which program do you love and recommend I check out? Since I just wasted my money on the LLATL yellow books (although I can save them for my younger son) I really want to do some research this time!

Thanks for your help!

Tana

How about 3rd grade BJU English? It's workbook-based, and alternates between grammar-related chapters and writing chapters. I think it does a nice job of covering the mechanics of the subject, while also promoting creativity. It's also bright and colorful, and if you like to test at the end of each chapter, BJU sells tests and test solutions at very reasonable prices.

We use the BJU DVD program, so I don't use the teacher's manual, but if I were ordering the books without the DVDs, I would definitely get the teacher's manual, as it will give you lots of ideas for teaching the subject.

:001_smile:

Cat

Edited to add: BJU English isn't based on literature, so it may not be exactly what you have in mind, but my ds is the same age as yours, and BJU works better for us than anything else we've tried so far. It's quite thorough, and ds doesn't dread it. (LLATL didn't work for us, either, for the same reasons you mentioned.)

My kids dreaded grammar until we switched to R&S. Now we do most of the grammar orally. They have some written drill exercises which we selectively do. My kids race thru this and actually enjoy it. It has short and directed writing exercises which both my boys like. Plus there are some easy copywork options if you are into that sort of thing.

We also have used the Royal Fireworks Press books. Wonderful. My kids adored reading them and learned a lot. The are expensive, so we share them with other families. I wanted something more structured so I added the R&S, but I guess some people just use the RFP books.

How about 3rd grade BJU English? It's workbook-based, and alternates between grammar-related chapters and writing chapters. I think it does a nice job of covering the mechanics of the subject, while also promoting creativity. It's also bright and colorful, and if you like to test at the end of each chapter, BJU sells tests and test solutions at very reasonable prices.

We use the BJU DVD program, so I don't use the teacher's manual, but if I were ordering the books without the DVDs, I would definitely get the teacher's manual, as it will give you lots of ideas for teaching the subject.

:iagree: with Cat! Go to http://www.bjup.com and check out their Writing & Grammar. It has a good pace at that age, not overly ambitious, yet not super simple. I haven't used the 3rd grade, but if it's set up like 4th-6th your ds would have a chapter of grammar followed by an entire chapter walking him step by step through a writing assignment.

But, that just covers Writing & Grammar. :glare:

I use whole books for Lit (TOG), but I am also going to add in CLE's Reading this year because I really like the different concepts it covers. Could you do something like CLE for reading while also picking some whole books to read as well? I can also highly recommend BJU's Reading, especially 4th grade; my son loved BJU's 4th grade Reading! There's quite a price difference between BJU and CLE though, if that's a concern. Also, it appears that CLE can be done more independently, whereas BJU really should be taught with the TM. The BJU TM is set up very nicely though telling you what to say, what questions to ask, etc.

I haven't used the 3rd grade, but if it's set up like 4th-6th your ds would have a chapter of grammar followed by an entire chapter walking him step by step through a writing assignment.

Yes, Melissa -- 3rd grade is structured the same way!

Also, it appears that CLE can be done more independently, whereas BJU really should be taught with the TM. The BJU TM is set up very nicely though telling you what to say, what questions to ask, etc.

I agree. I think you'd miss out on most of the "good stuff" if you didn't use either the TMs or the DVDs. I wish you could purchase individual DVD courses in the elementary grades, but in our case, I think it's worth the money to buy them even though we don't plan to use the DVDs for every class next year.

Cat

We have not cared for LLATL at all. The theory is great, the program is...meh for us.

Here is what we are using after a long trial and error with LLATL Orange, Writing Tales II, and Growing with Grammar 4. Mid-year, we dropped WT II and GWG. I chose the sections of LLATL Orange I wanted him to do - the poetry section and the last two book studies. That is it. LLATL is more a supplement (because we already own it) than a spine.

Going forward, the Language Arts plan is as follows: CLE Language Arts (this covers grammar, Spelling, and handwriting for us and it is a good, solid, program. It does NOT have a lot of repetition and the lessons are excellent and skip around enough to keep the child interested IMO), DITHOR (from Heart of Dakota) for Reading (level 4/5), and WWE for writing. It is working BEAUTIFULLY. It is so wonderful that I am actually starting my younger on the same plan. It is not "all in one" because I mixed and matched until I found the best thing for my son. I have my BA in English, so I am extremely picky about Language Arts.

ETA...if you want a "living book" approach to reading, check out DITHOR (Drawn into the Heart of Reading). It uses real books by genre to study all these different elements of literature, as well as character, etc. I honestly LOVE the program.

Edited by Tree House Academy

My 9 year old son started LLATL - yellow (grade 3) yesterday and we did one week's worth in about 20 minutes. I looked through the whole book and realized he is already ahead of this level. (He has done Critical Thinking Language Smarts Level B workbook and a few other things and he is a very advanced reader and natural speller).

I like LLATL because it is based on literature which works well for him, he loves to read. I would not mind if it was something he could do more independently than LLATL but it's fine to do it together too. But I have read some really good things about both CLE and MCT lately and wonder if we would be better off with one of them?

I don't mind if handwriting is not included like LLATL because he is just learning cursive so I assume I will need to add a separate cursive program, he's been doing Reason for Handwriting so we can always continue with that in addition to the new LA.

My main concerns are:

(a) grammar -- covered thoroughly but not with a ton of drill/repitition - he learns new concepts quickly and I don't want it to become drudgery for him.

(b) writing practice -- beginning to write poetry, stories, reports, etc. This is an area where he does not excel and needs to be babystepped along.

© something that incorporates or is based on literature.

So which program do you love and recommend I check out? Since I just wasted my money on the LLATL yellow books (although I can save them for my younger son) I really want to do some research this time!

Thanks for your help!

Tana

It sounds to me like he's ready for the Orange book. I would bump him up to there. The Orange book includes a lot of special units for writing as well as some grammar. We supplement with either Daily Grams or Ridgewood Grammar. Ridgewood sounds more like what you're looking for as far as explaining it with some practice but it doesn't go overboard. It's great for independent learners and my dc liked doing it.

It's true that for a child that does well in LA you should do LLATL one level up. With my dds that's what we do, with my ds we stay at grade level.

Remember that LLATL is along the lines of Beechik/CM of keeping lessons short and gently breaking them into new concepts and components. It covers everything very thoroughly, but, it's going to do it in a very gentle way.

We've used LLATL all the way through and I've loved what I've seen as a result with my dc. They love to read, have a good grasp on classic lit., write well with great imagination and good mechanics and construction, and they have a good grasp of grammar. That's been our experience. HTH