Menu

Any recommendations for a reading/comprehension program?

Guest aquiverfull

I think it depends on what you are wanting in a reading program. We have used BJU Reading K-2 and are currently doing grade 5. It is not really what I want, but I feel that it is what my child needs at the moment. I prefer a living book approach to reading. I prefer whole books instead of snippets. BJU will have you reading various genres. Your child will read out of the student book silently then you will ask comprehension questions and have the child read some lines of the story out loud showing the appropriate emotions being expressed, ex. excitement, sadness, etc. I like the comprehension questions and right now my dd needs to get in more writing into our homeschool. The BJU reading workbooks are perfect for this. In between readings there will be what is called Skill days. There will be a workbook page teaching certain things, we just had a skill day that taught idioms and hyperboles. I think BJU is a wonderful reading program if that is the type of thing you are looking for. It's really good, I would just prefer my dd to read whole books. So after we do this we plan to go back to doing that with some literature guides thrown in. Hope that helps.

I am pretty familiar with BJU reading. I actually had a chance to read through it and see what it's like. I am very impressed with it. I do understand what you are saying about wanting a more living book approach. I guess that's what inspired me to ask about my other options.

So, the Christian Light looks very nice! I was thinking it seems just like enough without becoming to consuming. Michelle, could you give me anymore info on this program? I have browsed the website, but I can't get a real feel for what it will be like. Did your children find the stories engaging? could you explain the 'lightunit sets'? Are they just workbooks that ask comprehension questions??

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks so much!!

I liked BJU reading for grades 2-4. I thought grade 3 was especially good. It covers what you need it to cover.

If you really like whole books, have you looked at Total Language Plus? Or Drawn into the Heart of Reading?

I do think BJU is more complete than DITHOR. But, we transitioned over to DITHOR in grade 5 and have found it to be just the ticket. After a few years of BJU, it was just too much of the same type thing. DITHOR was a nice, refreshing change. I do use McCall-Crabb weekly though.

I've used BJU Reading for a few grades and will some with my ds. I think it covers so many topics of study that would be difficult for me without a curriculum. It's rather expensive, so I've used it when I could find the best deals on it.

I've always had my dd do whole books as well, though. I might choose to leave a few stories from the readers out to make time for novels if I didn't have time for both. BJU has about 3 a year that are called Book Links. We have especially liked them; however, we do classic literature as well with any study guides I can find online. Here's an extensive list of free study guides.

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

I have not used BJU but have used Pathway Readers and Drawn Into The Heart Of Reading. Fist one is okay but not as exciting after all the stories being similar. DITHOR wasn't all that great of a fit for my daughter. I still own it and still not ready to part with it yet, still have two others that may use it. I currently have the books that are listed to use with DITHOR and we read them together. Somedays she reads than I read or she reads silently. We talk about each chapter and write a bit about each chapter. We talk about what words she didn't understand and look them up if need to. We just finished reading a Bio and getting ready to read a Christian Fiction book. While my DD is at her class tonight I am going to read the first two-three chapters and write down some questions and possible vocabulary words for her. I get book report worksheets/ideas from enchantedlearning.com that help get her (and me) organized.

So, the Christian Light looks very nice! I was thinking it seems just like enough without becoming to consuming. Michelle, could you give me anymore info on this program? I have browsed the website, but I can't get a real feel for what it will be like. Did your children find the stories engaging? could you explain the 'lightunit sets'? Are they just workbooks that ask comprehension questions??

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks so much!!

It's a reader and 5 LightUnits (workbooks) for each grade. Each Lightunit takes 16 days if your dc does it 5 days/wk; with 1 reading comprehension quiz, 1 reading quiz and 1 test for each LU. Each story begins with a scripture verse and then the story relates to that scripture verse. The stories and poems are engaging. The workbooks are very challenging and include vocabulary, critical thinking, comprehension questions, literary analysis and more. Look at the CLE S&S to see the details for each grade. Many people have their dc do CLE reading and other whole books to complete the school year. Last year we did 1 LU and then a book; alternating CLE/book. This year we took a break from CLE reading; it was too hard for my ds (not the reading part, the LU's). We'll begin with CLE reading in the fall.

Many posts have been about CLE. Do a board search or re-post asking about CLE reading to hear from others.