Menu

Normal cycles, or should I be concerned?

11yo dd started her cycles about 6 months ago. Except for the first one (about 30 days from the first . to the 2nd .) she gets her cycle every 20 to 23 days, and it lasts about 7 days. Is this within "normal" range for girls?

Besides worrying that her cycle is too frequent, I'm also concerned about anemia. She eats very little meat, and no red meat. Also she is perpetually cold, always bundled up. Some people in my family (including me) usually feel cold, but dd wears warmer clothing/more layers than I do. Should I ask the doctor for blood tests (what kind) or is there something else I should try? Or am I worrying about nothing?

She started three months after she turned 11 (which freaked me out in itself . . .I was 13) and she gets hers every 21-23 days and it lasts 7 days and is heavy. I have often wondered myself if this is normal. She doesn't appear unhealthy but I suffered from anemia and it's effects and I do not want my dd to experience this. BTW she is turning 13 next month.

I'm looking forward to other responses.

My 17 yr. old has her's every three weeks and always has. Dr. says it's within the range of normal. Her's only lasts three days though. Other dd has one every 25 days and it lasts a little longer. 12 yr. old just started about 3 months ago (1 full year younger than all the rest) and I have no idea what her cycle is yet. It can sometimes take up to a year to normalize. My mother and oldest dd had a more normal length between cycles but their's lasted about a full week. I don't know about the anemia. My vegetarian doesn't have it if that helps.

I am certainly no medical expert, but that sounds like it *might* possibly be a thyroid problem. I had very short cycles but long periods, like her, and thyroid was one of the things my doctor checked. But I did not have problems with always feeling cold, and my thyroid was normal. You could have your daughter take her basal body temperature every morning for one complete cycle, and this can give you a big clue as to whether thyroid should be checked. I would do this before going to the doctor, because it's one more piece of information to give the doctor. Just have her take her temperature every morning first thing when she wakes up, before getting out of bed. The first 14 days or so of her cycle, her temperatures will be lower, but ideally should not be below 97.5. After ovulation, her temperature will increase for the rest of her cycle, then drop again just before her next period starts. If she has several temps below 97.5 this might indicate a thyroid problem. She could track her temperatures using one of these charts, and then show that to the doc: http://www.gardenoffertility.com/fertilitycharts.shtml

If her temperatures don't indicate any problem, then it sounds to me like she might have the same problem I have: low progesterone. Until recently, I was having very short 21-23 day cycles and long, heavy, 8-day periods. I started following the recommendations in the book Garden of Fertility, and have increased my cycles to 25 days and decreased my periods to 4 days. I take high-vitamin cod liver oil every day (Vitamin A is a precursor for progesterone, but it must be *natural* Vit A like in cod liver oil, not artificial stuff like retinol.) I started sleeping in a completely dark room, no light at all from windows or an alarm clock (I know that sounds weird, but melatonin is also important for progesterone production, and your body doesn't make melatonin like it should if you are exposed to light all night). And I cut back on sugar and eat plenty of protein.

Garden of Fertility is really a wonderful book for teaching women how to track their fertility signals not only for preventing or causing pregnancy, but also for understanding our health. I highly recommend it. I have learned so much from it!

ETA: does she eat a lot of soy products? If so, I would get her off of them and get her on cod liver oil right away. Soy disrupts thyroid function.

Edited by GretaLynne

Greta, I will have my dd check her temps. I have a basal thermometer from TTC my dc years ago, so I'll dig it out along with some blank charts. I didn't know kids could have thyroid issues. I'll also check the library for the book you recommended.

She doesn't eat many soy products; maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and generally tofu or tempeh.

Yeah, within the normal range considering her age, but I would be dosing her with some herbal iron tonic regularly/ feeding her high iron foods . I wouldn't personally traumatise her with a blood test as long as she would cooperate with taking a tonic/eating more high iron foods. Also, you could sneak red meat/liver into other foods eg pasta sauce.