Menu

Need a painting/drawing book for kids

My 11 and 10 yo kids really want to take a painting and/or drawing course, but I can't find one in our area at all. So, next best thing is to find a dvd course or REALLY easy book to walk them through the steps. I have NO ability in this area- can't even draw a good stick figure- so it has to be student directed.

And, they don't want cartoony type of drawing. They do that naturally and now they want to move to shading and perspective and such. We've used How Great Thou Art, (no dvd's) but they said it is too babyish...

Any help?

here is one I plan on trying soon. I have been told it's really good http://www.geeguides.com/

I saw a book at books-a-million yesterday I'm going to go back and get. It was a book for kids (girls) on how to draw mermaids and fairies and things. There was also one for boys with more boyish things in it. It looked really good and I think my girls will enjoy it.

You should check out Draw Today and Paint Today. They are programs SL recommends for 6th grade and core 100, although since they are not SL publications you could buy them elsewhere if you choose. Those look good for your dc's ages. I've been wanting to get Drawing With Children for my K'er and 2nd grader, but since I haven't seen it I can't comment on whether it may seem babyish to older dc or not. It looks really good and is worth checking out.

I'm an artist IRL, and I have also been looking for good art curriculum. I can do it, but I am not sure how to teach it, especially teaching it to my kids, if that makes any sense. I was impressed with Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. I haven't used this personally, but I ran across it when researching, and saved it in my Amazon Wish list. It's got great reviews, and it looks like it's a well done drawing course for kids...and even adults are using it to improve their drawing skills.

Here's one of the reviews from a teacher:

"As a fourth-grade teacher who was never very good at art, I always found teaching art to be very difficult. Elementary school teachers aren't provided with any real curriculum, and the majority of ideas out there in books and teachers' magazines are simplistic cut-and-paste busy work that don't really teach any art concepts. Then I found this book! This is incredible! My whole art program is set up around this book! It teaches art concretely and step-by-step so that the most art challenged students (including myself) are able to learn from it! The kids love it, and its great for teaching mathematical and geometrical concepts like shapes, angles and terms. I couldn't recommend this book for any teacher (or child, or parent) more! You and your children will draw great pictures, even if you are as bad at drawing as I am!"

Once your kiddos master the basic concepts (shading, contour drawing, composition, etc.) I would move them on to an area of interest or study for drawing inspiration. Most art/craft stores have a drawing section full of 'how to draw' books that walk your child through the steps of drawing horses, dogs, etc. The instructions are sparse in these types of books, so they would greatly benefit from already doing shading and drawing exercises before diving into these.

My husband was taught to draw using the Audubon book of birds. He developed a life long love of birds, and learned a lot while looking at the birds and reading about them. I think we're going to incorporate sketching from the Audubon book when we are doing the Apologia Biology I next year. Adding in an illustration to writing assignments is another fun way of keeping them engaged with drawing.

I would definitely recommend Drawing With Children by Mona Brooks. I am just starting it with my 11 year old son. It has very clear, step by step instructions on how to start and teach. It's geared towards children, but it can also be used for an adult with absolutely no background in art (which is me). I actually get excited reading through it thinking that I can learn to draw as well. And it is not cartoonish - it is teaching realistic drawing.

I'll second Mark Kistler's book Draw Squad. My girls did NOT want to learn to draw cartoon style things, and they thought the book was on the cartoon side of things when they first started it. But, they learned a ton about how to draw and have been able to adapt their learning to drawing the realistic things they were wanting to draw. It was a great book as I instructed them to complete one chapter a week, and they did that on their own without me. I just checked for completion each week and left encouraging sticky notes on their drawings.

A couple of people recommended Mark Kistler's book. He actually has a website: http://www.draw3d.com/ - and you can view several 8-minute art lessons for free on there (and I think there are even more on Youtube).

My 8-year-old son loves to draw and was asking for lessons, and he did a 3D box and a shaded sphere that were BEAUTIFUL after just watching those two lessons. I've ordered the book, but I'm also considering signing up to be able to access all 100+ online art lessons, because I think that it's really helpful to be able to actually watch him draw.

My husband is an artist, and even though it's a little cartoony, he is very impressed that these lessons teach perspective, shading, foreshortening, and many other solid artistic principles. (I'm hoping to be able to learn to draw something besides just stick figures myself by watching these!) :D

I'll second Mark Kistler's book Draw Squad.... they learned a ton about how to draw and have been able to adapt their learning to drawing the realistic things they were wanting to draw....

:iagree:Yes, my kids are drawing from life using the techniques they learned from this book... without me even suggesting it. I also appreciate that the lessons in this book are concise. My kids & myself have learned a lot from short lessons. We pull out this book just before starting our writing lessons for the day. I've found that 5 to 15 minutes of drawing is great to set the mood for writing. For just around $18, this is a great option.

Edited by TMarie

here is one I plan on trying soon. I have been told it's really good http://www.geeguides.com/
Oh, this is really good, and while there are animated bits, it doesn't teach cartoon style drawing. Even though there are plenty of projects, I would characterize it more as art appreciation. However, at its price I'd recommend it no matter which other drawing program you choose. My kids have picked up (and retained) a staggering amount from it.

We found Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntyre (I think Draw Squad was based on this.) It was used on Amazon, but some other hs cats sell it. It has the basic concepts from Draw Squad (foreshortening, shading, etc.) it a much shorter, dc thought much more user friendly format, and more affordable. The beginning of the book goes into detail as to why learning to draw should be this way first before moving into more natural drawing.