Menu

Microscope/dissection necessary for 9th gr Bio?

I'm trying to budget for next year's supplies. My 9th grader will study Biology - probably Apologia (it could change but that's what I think at this moment).

How necessary is it to

1) Buy a microscope and all the slides, etc?

2) Buy a dissection setup and materials?

Please rank:

Essential

Very Important

Somewhat Important

Good if you can

Optional

Not necessary at all

Thanks!!!

I think if you don't have ethical (veg*n) issues with dissection, it's an invaluable tool for Biology. The kit on homeschoolscience.com is outstanding. My 6th graders dissected frogs last week, and the specimens were great.

A microscope is a handy tool, but not as important to me in the long run as understanding biology systems.

Dissection--very important

Microscope--Somewhat important

HTH,

Lori

If your student is very interested in science, I would say it is very important to provide all the labs. The dissections for Apologia are very good, (earthworm, crayfish, perch, and frog) and I'd probably rank them over the microscope labs. But either is easy to cut out if your student is uninterested or your budget is tight.

Both my dd did Apologia Biology w/o the microscope, but did the dissections. Of course for #2, we only had to buy the critters since the tray, etc is re-usable. Maybe you can double-up w/another family--either borrow their tray, etc if their not doing Bio this year (but will be again) or 2-3 families go in for a set, ea w/their own critters & do the labs at home. You even could have the kids do the dissections together since it helps to have 2 people to do them (one to write & one to cut) and split the cost of the whole thing.

I can't imagine doing the Apologia Biology course without the microscope and dissections. I have son #3 going through the course this year and I have to say I am glad we purchased the microscope and lab kit. We purchased the microscope when my oldest son started biology. It is an expensive investment, but will be used for all six of my children, so I felt it was worth it.

How do they get a lab credit if they do not do the microscope and dissections labs?

I understand not being able to afford a microscope and such. We have not been able to afford those things either. That being said:

1. It is best if you can afford the microscope and dissection kit,

BUT

2. It is still a good course if you can not afford it.

We have done some labs with a group. It is important to get a few labs done.

If your students will be going into the medical field or other heavy biology field, then try to find a group or other family to share the expense.

If your students are not going into a field of heavy science, then it is probably OK to skip it.

As homeschoolers we always need to keep in mind that it is OK to skip, or tweak, or revise ANYTHING to fit our needs at the present time.

How do they get a lab credit if they do not do the microscope and dissections labs?

There are a number of labs that don't involve special equipment. Of course, that would make it a sort of "half" lab grade, but if you're doing earth science, chemistry, and physics, you can easily make up for it in those areas...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaT viewpost.gif

There are a number of labs that don't involve special equipment. Of course, that would make it a sort of "half" lab grade, but if you're doing earth science, chemistry, and physics, you can easily make up for it in those areas...

This is info off the Apologia website regarding lab credits:

Exploring Creation With Biology contains three types of laboratory exercises for the student to perform: 1) Household labs - Only household equipment is used. These labs should be done by all students. 2) Microscope labs - Require a microscope + slide set. These labs are optional. 3) Dissection labs - Require a dissection kit. These labs are optional (except for Internet course participants.) We do not REQUIRE you to perform the microscope and dissection labs. They will be beneficial to the student (especially if he or she is science-oriented) but they are not absolutely necessary. Thus, you should not feel pressured into purchasing the microscope or dissection equipment. Do so only if you can afford it! For students who wish to count biology as a “lab credit†they must complete 2 of the 3 types of labs.

We are sort of the opposite of the others so far. We are doing all the microscope labs, but not the dissections. I am having her view dissections online or video. I was able to get a used microscope so that helped. We are vegetarians, and neither my dd or I could handle the dissections. (I didn't even do them when I was in high school bio.)

We have used Apologia Biology and I did purchase the microscope and dissection kits. I think it depends on what you plan to do for science in the future and also how many children will be employing the microscope. My little ones love to look at the prepared slides, and the microscope will eventually be used by 7 children so I had no problem biting the bullet. If you have a student who is really hands on and wants to do all three kinds of labs purchasing the equipment is probably necessary, if not, just get what you need. If you are part of a coop a lot of times they offer lab science classes. Just have fun and tailor it to your student.:)

We used Abeka biology who have a great lab manual. We bought the microscope and dissection kit and the Abeka lab dvds. We did most of the dissections but opted to just watch some of them. The experience seemed to be good for my kids and we are glad we bought everything and actually did the dissections.

I understand not being able to afford a microscope and such. We have not been able to afford those things either. That being said:

1. It is best if you can afford the microscope and dissection kit,

BUT

2. It is still a good course if you can not afford it.

As homeschoolers we always need to keep in mind that it is OK to skip, or tweak, or revise ANYTHING to fit our needs at the present time.

I have a funny (Sad?) story. We did not opt to purchase the microscope because I felt it was over our budget. So I arranged to meet with a friend's son and we drove 40mi RT 12X (for every microscope experiment: we met once for ea module and did both experiments at the same time) all year. I packed up 5 kids, brought activities for the 3 littles and was gone for 3-4 hours every Thurs aft.

Cost in gas alone (van, 20mpg; gas $4gal (2007-08)$8 RT gas X 12 = $96.

Cost in stress/Time: Priceless.

Then in March or April, my friend's driveway was a muddy mess - we got stuck.

Cost for tow truck (who also got stuck) $100.

=

Amt spent for microscope experiments at friend's: $200 minimum

Price of Lesson Learned: Priceless

Lisaj, who does *not* have a m/scope to show for it :()

We have been doing Biology this year and the dissections, especially, have been invaluable. It has really made sense of what we have been learning and has provided for a sense of wonder. Now, I have to tell you, I am doing this with my 14 yo, my 15 yo and one of the kids' friends. None of the kids want to do the cutting on the specimens. (I didn't think I wanted to either : ). However, I just prepare the specimen and we all look. The wonder takes over and I am so glad we are doing this--I am fascinated and I think it really helps them to absorb the concepts.

The microscope? We are borrowing one from friends who are travelling for a year! I am glad we have access to it, but you could find most of the slide images online. JMHO.

Enjoy Biology!

Lisa

Thanks for all the responses -- it really helps to hear experiences of those who have gone before!!

It seems the consensus is: try to do both micro and dissections, unless budget really doesn't allow it.

I'm off to start the search for used microscopes!!

:001_huh: