Menu

x-p:When, in a typing program, do you let your kids start typing their school papers?

When, in the process of using a typing program, do you let your kids start typing their school papers? Do you wait until they've gone through all the exercises of the typing program? Or do you let them start using the keyboard when they have some idea of where the keys are?

My ds is getting better at knowing where the keys are, and what fingers to use. And I remind him to not look at the keyboard, so his brain is forced to tell his fingers, instead of his eyes telling his fingers where to go. He has been using Mavis Beacon to learn to type, and to be honest, I haven't even looked at the program. I went on recommendations, handed it to him, and told him to figure it out (he loves figuring out anything computer related).

I just wonder if it's a mistake for some reason, to let him start trying out typing his school papers on the computer, before he has finished the typing program and gotten REALLY good at typing without looking. And fast. But, he loves being able to type his papers, and he has a much easier time getting his thoughts on paper. What do you think? I won't let him quit the typing program, but will it produce negative consequences somehow to let him start typing his papers, mid-program?

my children are using Mavis Beacon as well. they were finding it very boring.

I have got them doing writing strands on the computer now. and they are realizing why they need to know how to type.

I have found that they enjoy writing strands much better on the computer. that way they just have to read over their work and insert more adjectives etc. instead of re-writing the whole thing over.

Mine typed before they started a typing program. I mad them start a typing program but it was redundant. we all type fairly quickly. It may have technically been better to learn to type first, but just seemed like a waste of time since they already typed.

Thanks everyone, for your replies. It makes me more comfortable to just let him keep going with typing papers, alongside using the typing program. I just have my 11th grade typing class stuck in my mind - we spent months learning the keyboard and doing typing drills to get really good at typing and speed before ever learning to type up documents. I suppose I'll let him type papers, and gather speed and accuracy along the way with Mavis Beacon.

When, in the process of using a typing program, do you let your kids start typing their school papers? Do you wait until they've gone through all the exercises of the typing program? Or do you let them start using the keyboard when they have some idea of where the keys are?

My ds is getting better at knowing where the keys are, and what fingers to use. And I remind him to not look at the keyboard, so his brain is forced to tell his fingers, instead of his eyes telling his fingers where to go. He has been using Mavis Beacon to learn to type, and to be honest, I haven't even looked at the program. I went on recommendations, handed it to him, and told him to figure it out (he loves figuring out anything computer related).

I just wonder if it's a mistake for some reason, to let him start trying out typing his school papers on the computer, before he has finished the typing program and gotten REALLY good at typing without looking. And fast. But, he loves being able to type his papers, and he has a much easier time getting his thoughts on paper. What do you think? I won't let him quit the typing program, but will it produce negative consequences somehow to let him start typing his papers, mid-program?

I would have him start typing, because I think good writing skills are more important than typing skills. Even if it does result for the short-term in more hunting and pecking that is ideal, if he also keeps up with the typing program, he'll eventually stop that. Typing his papers brought my ds's writing skills way up (he started around age 11), because he was no longer trying to make everything as short as possible so he wouldn't have to write it all out. He is willing to write much longer reports and essays now. It also makes making corrections quicker and easier.

I would have him start typing, because I think good writing skills are more important than typing skills. Even if it does result for the short-term in more hunting and pecking that is ideal, if he also keeps up with the typing program, he'll eventually stop that. Typing his papers brought my ds's writing skills way up (he started around age 11), because he was no longer trying to make everything as short as possible so he wouldn't have to write it all out. He is willing to write much longer reports and essays now. It also makes making corrections quicker and easier.

I think you're right - I think everything you said would apply here, esp. the bolded parts. Thank you!!!