Menu

Pool alarms

This is not a recommendation, but just a couple of problems we have had with ours. Our pool is about the same size as yours.

We bought a Poolguard alarm a couple of years ago. It seemed to have the best reviews. http://www.poolguard.com/

When we would test it, the alarm never went off as quickly as I thought it should. Also, if it was windy outside, the wind set it off all the time and drove us crazy.

I don't know if it was size of our pool, the shape, or the location of the alarm that kept it from working properly. I just wanted you to know that for the price we paid, this alarm has been a major disappointment, and I hope you find something more effective.

HTH even though it doesn't provide a good recommendation.:)

This is not a recommendation, but just a couple of problems we have had with ours. Our pool is about the same size as yours.

We bought a Poolguard alarm a couple of years ago. It seemed to have the best reviews. http://www.poolguard.com/

When we would test it, the alarm never went off as quickly as I thought it should. Also, if it was windy outside, the wind set it off all the time and drove us crazy.

I don't know if it was size of our pool, the shape, or the location of the alarm that kept it from working properly. I just wanted you to know that for the price we paid, this alarm has been a major disappointment, and I hope you find something more effective.

HTH even though it doesn't provide a good recommendation.:)

Yesterday I almost posted something similar - but since I never owned a pool allarm, I didn't think it would be responsible to say anything. :tongue_smilie:

What I wanted to say is that htere may be some other options for you to consider. For instance an alarm on the doors leading to the pool area that would alert you if someone went outdoors without your consent; locks placed high on those doors; and a fence that seperates the pool area from an outdoor play area for the children. And then of course - swim lessons for all children and infant survival skills for the very young ones. But - you probably already know this! Infant Swimming Resource has a book with an excellent section on pool safety if you can get your hands on one.

When we lived in Florida, we put in a pool and had three toddlers. I didn't want a pool alarm, because I didn't want to know AFTER someone had gotten in the pool.

What we did instead, was put up a child safety fence that actually went into the concrete around the pool. It can be taken down when it is no longer needed. None of my younger children could get in it, even my little acrobat. It was expensive, but well worth the peace of mind to me.

We had similar problems with ours (I don't remember which brand). The dc were little and hadn't started swimming yet. We put a fence around it and a pool alarm (with a remote in the house).

The police showed up one day and said a neighbor had called complaining about an alarm that had been going off all day!! When we tested it, it sure seemed loud enough but apparently we couldn't hear it in the house. Fortunately, the wind had set it off.

I live in FL and swimming accidents are all too common. I had my girls in an infant swim program early so they would learn to turn and float to save themselves if they accidently fell in the pool but that was only a last resort. We had supervision rules, locks and fences...layers of protection.

I was told by our swim safety coach that the pool alarms can be a problem because a lot can set them off...wind, rain, floaties or falling leaves etc. When the alarm goes off a lot for non-emergencies the parents can become complacent and that is a scary thing. Our coach said she saw cases where a child drowned because the alarm was deactivated because it was sensitive enough to go off repeatedly. A man at our pool supply store told me he didn't even sell them because of the complacency issue and he had found that some models were unreliable.

Personally, I would go for a safety rated locked fence and layers of protection along with pool safety training.

We have an underground pool and are going with the layers of protection "thing". Our house has door alarms, the pool is fenced off and the gate is a self closing latching gate with a keyed lock. Then we come to the pool alarm... it was far to sensitive and went off several times a day and night. (the same one mentioned and linked to already.) We were constantly running outside to reset it. So we then tried a pool cover that is strong enough to hold an elephant (see it? It looks good) but it seriously takes my hubby and I an hour to put on and 30 minutes to take off our pool... not ideal by any means. We now just have the fence and alarms deterring the kids. I am not comfortable without an alarm. I worry constantly, I'm now thinking a pool with young kids just isnt worth it to me.. hubby thinks otherwise. So I'm in the market for a new pool alarm. I'll be following your thread closely.

I hear you about being nervous with a pool and children.

It's my mom's new house that has a pool. I told her we need to get door alarms, and figure out what to do with the dog door.

I'm trying to talk my parents into getting it screened in and a child fence around it. It's expensive though.