Menu

Music instruction, help!

Pata

I want my dd to start to learn an instrument next year, but I'm not sure where to begin. My budget for it itsn't huge, so I will not be able to outsource it. Also I'm not hugely musical, so I need something that will really hold my hand. I had considered getting a book and a recorder or teaching basic piano using a keyboard. With that information, what do you suggest we use? TIA!

Piano is a great instrument to begin with. Both treble and bass clefs are learned, and it is very easy to conceptualize music theory on this instrument. Later, if there is a strong interest in another instrument, it is easy to make a switch, and because the child can already read music at that point, progress is usually swift.

Since you played, I would think that would be a good place to start.

I know nothing, of course, about the cost of a violin. Maybe you could rent for a bit?

If you were closer, I would teach your dd piano and you could teach my dd violin. Mine wants to take violin. I played piano through elementary/high school.

I was thinking that I took piano and violin in elementary and junior high school.

I tried to teach my son the piano. It was hard to teach school and music. The music lessons got lost by the wayside. Something that I like about having someone else doing it is when my son's violin teacher hears a note that is off, she can say, "you need to move up a hair or down a hair with your finger." I am not that good. I can teach basic piano to my children. My sons' piano and violin teachers can teach them further than what I could ever teach them. I like that.

There are piano programs online that can teach the child for free, but there is nothing like an experienced musician teacher your child the basics. Just an interesting thought, my sons' violin teacher is teaching a boy the violin. The boy's mother plays for a symphony orchestra. I find it interesting that she even thinks it is better to have someone else teach her son.

Just my opinion! Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

When we bought our piano I picked up a copy of Teaching Little Fingers to Play by John Thompson with the idea of teaching ds who was about 3 or 4 at the time. I had taken lessons when I was little and had forgotten a lot but thought I could handle the beginnings. It turned out that with this book he ended up teaching himself. It is laid out very well so that as long as someone can see the pictures they can easily figure it out. Not to mention it's an inexpensive book. There are different level books. I would think, with your background, that this certainly would be an easy place to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Little-Fingers-Play-Thompsons/dp/0877180202/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238799814&sr=8-1

Just a thought.

Thanks guys!

Peggy, that does make me homesick! I'm overseas in Asia and I'm finding that I am really missing spring in the Appalachia. Luckily last year we did alot of hiking with a camera, so I have been pulling up my old pictures of all the spring wild flowers. I can honestly say that it's the most beautiful place in the world to me!