Menu

Favorite dictionary for upper elem grades?

Alison in KY

A while back someone here recommended the American Heritage Student Dictionary and Thesaurus, and I bought them, because what I had before (a hodgepodge of dictionaries and thesauri) were all rather horrible.

I have to say I am very pleased and would recommend them.

Can you tell me where I can get this? I looked at Rainbow last night, but it didn't say thesaurus, but maybe that isn't part of the title?

I think I found a Websters Intermediate I was going to look at, but if this is good then I want it. My current ones stink, and I'd bought one a few years ago that was not good also (didn't have any words we looked up).

Thanks,

Alison in KY

Can you tell me where I can get this?

I'd just get them at Amazon, which is discounted 35% off of list and has free shipping - well, you'd have to buy one more inexpensive book to make the $25 free-shipping minimum, but I never seem to have a problem with that. :D

Dictionary

Thesaurus

Your local Barnes & Noble will also have them, and you can get 20% off as an educator there.

Well, I recommend my electronic dictionary! The kids are much more likely to look up words as they are reading (it's fun) and the history feature means we can review words. The thesaurus is fun too, and they are eager to use it in writing class. When I'm reading aloud, it is so much more convenient than lugging out the huge dictionary, looking up the word, writing it down for review, etc.

It has been one of my best purchases. I have the Sharp PE 550 which is a little pricey, but has been worth it for easy of use and scope.

Penny

I got my American Heritage Dictionary and Thesaurus from Rainbow, but Sonlight also carries them (and of course amazon).

I found Rainbow to be the cheapest at the time, but amazon prices fluctuate so I always check there again before ordering.

Dictionary:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/American+Heritage+Student+Dictionary/012238/1238674697-880086

Thesaurus:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/American+Heritage+Student+Thesaurus/013346/1238674697-880086

We primarily use the Oxford American College Dictionary, esp. when we want to know current usage, a quick definition, or a word's part of speech. We refer to the Oxford Universal Dictionary (1955 ed.) for Latin and Greek etymology. We also occasionally use a facsimile edition of Webster's 1828 first dictionary -- this dictionary shows the use of the words in quotes from famous author's works. For travel, we use a paperback version of the American Heritage dictionary. For a thesaurus, we use Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form.

Edited by plimsoll