Menu

HOD or MFW

ally

I am bringing my kids home next year. I will have 2 second graders and 1 first grader. I am trying to choose between HOD Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory or MFW 1st grade and MFW Adventures. My younger girl is beginning to read this year but I don't think she'll be a strong reader by fall. I plan to reinforce the phonics with all of them since public school has not taught phonics. I am not a new homeschooler, in fact I'm OLD! I started in 1992 with my daughter in 4th grade when Sonlight was a wee little company and their IG was less than 1/2 inch thick!!

Anyway, I am intrigued with both of these curriculum and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about which would be best for my youngest 3 little girls.

I can't compare but I have read nothing but raves about HOD.

We did Little Hearts for His Glory this year and I have already ordered Beyond for next year. :)

We LOVE HOD. No stress and a completely relaxing homeschool environment. My DS loves it~

Congrats on having the little ones home again next fall.~

We are starting HOD in the fall. We chose it over MFW at first because it offered a good American History. Now that I have received all of the materials, I can see what a really great program it is. I plan to use more and more of it as time goes on (this year, I am just combining my two for History and Science using Bigger Hearts for His Glory). I did weeks of research and chose HOD over MFW, Sonlight, and WinterPromise. :)

Guess I'll chime in with another HOD rave. I am a brand new homeschooler and was completely overwhelmed by the curriculum choices! I had no idea all that was out there! But I feel God led me to HOD. I needed something put together for me (remember I was overwhelmed). I also watch children 2 days a week, so I have to work school around the chaos on those days, and the HOD plans really help me with that.

I also really, really love the bible material that is woven into just about every single thing we do.

I have never used HOD. I have heard a lot of good things about it though. We did use MFW 1 1/2 yrs. It was ok but just didn't seem to flow for us.

We are going to use Truth Quest for history this coming year. It is a bit more labor intensive but I can do my own schedule instead of 'feeling' tied to someone elses.

Thanks for all the input. I have purchased MFW Adventures and 1st grade along with Beyond Little Hearts used off these boards. I can't wait to line them up and evaluate. So far I've only received Adventures which looks good. I can see one potential issue with flipping back and forth in manual. I like what I've seen in HOD with the two page spread open and go. I'll let you know more after the rest come in. Then you'll see what I decided against on the For Sale Board. :)

Thanks for all the input. I have purchased MFW Adventures and 1st grade along with Beyond Little Hearts used off these boards. I can't wait to line them up and evaluate. So far I've only received Adventures which looks good. I can see one potential issue with flipping back and forth in manual. I like what I've seen in HOD with the two page spread open and go. I'll let you know more after the rest come in. Then you'll see what I decided against on the For Sale Board. :)

Idea. I think that because MFW and HOD are similar, yet different, they can actually complement one another very well. Once you get your Beyond stuff, you might take a look and see if you can use them together. ;)

Ally, don't forget to ask questions on the MFW board. I haven't used Adventures because my kids are too old but there has been no flipping back and forth in ECC and R2R unless you mean going from the assignment grid to the teacher's notes on the next page. I usually read the notes ahead of time and I like having the assignment on a grid because I copy it for my son. He doesn't need the notes.

Oh right, were you thinking that the ADV manual is laid out like K, 1st or ECC? It's not. Unless you have to turn a page over to get to the teacher's notes for later in the week. But there is *some* flipping back and forth in the HOD TMs, too. Add'l book suggestions, poems to be memorized, other-level math and LA, etc. are in the back of the HOD TMs.