Menu

any opinions on Dyson Animal 25 or 17 vacuum

I need a new vacuum. I have 7 cats and with the vacuum I currently have my house stays clean about half a day after I vacuum. My vacuum is so old.

I have researched on the Dyson website and it looks like for pets, my best choices would be the animal 25 or animal 17. Anyone have any opinions on these? I really need one to pick up all this cat hair. I am tired of of my carpets being covered with pet hair. I will pay the $549.00 if this vacuum will work great on pet hair.

The Sears Kenmore Progressive bagless scored a heck of a lot higher than the Dyson according to Consumer Reports. My Dyson recently broke, and you can't get the part that broke, of course. So, I got the Kenmore. It's a much better vacuum than the Dyson ever was! And, it's cheaper ($350).

Ria

Just curious....what part broke on yours? I am not happy with my Dyson...AT ALL....I wish it would break, LOL.

It was the plastic part that holds the wand/handle in place when you want to push the vacuum. It snapped, and there's no replacement. I googled, and found out that Dyson is notorious for this...and that parts, if they are available, are expensive.

I loved my Dyson at first, but it went downhill fast. My new Kenmore is more vacuum than the Dyson ever was...and quieter....and has way more suction...you get the idea.

Ria

I like mine. I had two other brands before this and when the last one died I was THRILLED so I could finally try the Dyson! I got the Animal one b/c I had a good coupon at Kohls. I had vacuumed just before I bought it, so when it filled up downstairs alone on the first use I was shocked and so glad I got it.

I am not disappointed. We use the attachments and so far no problems. I don't have good track records with vacuums but am very pleased so far. It's easy to dump the container and clean it when it's needed.

My son is 7 and can push the thing around ;-) sweet!

Yea....that part of it does seem poorly constructed.....I hate the attachments.....they are hard to use while vacuuming. Say you want to vacuum the baseboard with an attachment while you are passing by ......it is a pain....you have to take all the cord off the holder first....then pull out the LONG pole....and that is so hard to use as is....I end up taking the hose off of it and using that. By that time....I am exhausted, LOL! Then....you have to put it all back together to finish vacuuming.

I like mine. I had two other brands before this and when the last one died I was THRILLED so I could finally try the Dyson! I got the Animal one b/c I had a good coupon at Kohls. I had vacuumed just before I bought it, so when it filled up downstairs alone on the first use I was shocked and so glad I got it.

I am not disappointed. We use the attachments and so far no problems. I don't have good track records with vacuums but am very pleased so far. It's easy to dump the container and clean it when it's needed.

My son is 7 and can push the thing around ;-) sweet!

Tess - I had the same experience when we first got ours... and every time since. It never stops reminding us how disgusting we are.

I've had mine (the Animal) for 6 years and love it. I've had nothing break, other than the hose developing a permanent kink when my eldest decided to vacuum down the stairs and the whole thing came tumbling down.

As far as I can tell from the Dyson parts page, everything is replaceable. I replaced the kinked hose (after 4 years) and was surprised to see that you could, essentially, rebuild a Dyson from the parts page if something bad happened.

I've also had no problem with the attachments, other than small people liking to remove them and wander off. You don't need to (at least on mine) remove the wand from the hose to dust the baseboards. Just release the handle (as if you were going to pull out the wand) flip the little cover right behind the handle up, and stick the attachment you want on it. Even the bare floor attachment can be attached there... though it's rare, I would think, that anyone would want to vacuum a whole bare floor with the wand still in the hose, and upside-down. But, hey, I don't judge. :D

Hmmmm...I have always wanted to buy a Dyson since they came out. Then I met a homeschool mom who owns a vaccum store in town and she said Dysons were terrible. Now I don't know if I want to buy one or not. It seems some people like them???

I think the Dyson can really impress people who've had poor-performing vacuums. However, Dyson has major competition now, and lots of the current vacs are actually better. Problem is, people hear about the Dyson and go from their crappy vacs to a Dyson and have no clue that other vacs will do a better job. Case in point - you'll hear how people run the Dyson over their carpets and can't believe how much dirt was there! Well, guess what? I got my new Kenmore, ran it over a rug the Dyson had just vacuumed, and it picked up a ton of stuff, too. So much for that Dyson superiority, eh? LOL.

Ria

I would never recommend buying a Dyson. I never owned one, but when my good friend's husband was dying from cancer, I cleaned her home to help out quite a bit. I couldn't STAND her Dyson, and the plastic parts on it broke within a year and a half of her owning it. It was going to cost over $150 to replace the broken plastic, so she bought a brand new vacuum for $200.

I've done through numerous vacuums. So far I have loved my Bissel best. I have one for pets and I love that all I have to do to go from wood floor to carpets is press a button. I also love the stair attachment it came with. Many vacuums charge extra for that.

Denise

We bought the Animal a few months back. Wish I'd have asked the Hive about it before that! :001_huh: We did research and read reviews online and overall it sounded like a very good vacuum based on what we found.

I like mine so far...the one issue I didn't think about before buying it though was how bulky the actual sucking mechanism is (sorry - no clue what you call that part). You cannot slide even a tad bit under any furniture except tables/chairs. I had a refurbished Rainbow (hated it with a passion) that I could push all the way under my couches but with the Dyson I can't even get partway in.

The direction sheet is hysterical. There is NO WRITING. Apparently to save on costs, they decided they would illustrate everything instead of print it in 14 different languages. :001_huh: Erm. Uh. Not cool. It took us 10 minutes to figure out exactly how to release the wand and the canister because we were afraid that by pushing or pulling something too hard, we'd end up breaking it since the illustrations were not that clear. UGH.

What I like about it is that it sucks up everything. It's very powerful! The other is that when vacuuming, if you put the handle fully upright, the wheel brush stops turning but the suck is still on. That works great for vacuuming the hallway with 4 different rugs...

I own a Dyson Animal...not sure which one. I paid "only" $379 so it's probably the lesser of the two.

For almost two years now,I have been absolutely thrilled with it. Both for it's ability to pick up pet hair (chocolate Lab) and for the sheer effeiciency of it's design. There are no places where you can get a clog (flotsum, not hair) that cannot be dismantled and the clog removed. This happens alot in our house, and never been so easy to remedy. The one we bought had like 5 attachments and all fit their jobs very well. Especially the floor/under couch attachment.

The "slinky" hose feature allows me to vac a full flight of stairs without lifting the vacuum itself. It is also the only vac that has the "floors only" feature that doesn't throw the dirt in all directions, it just picks it up. True to claim, it has not lost any suction and performs as well as it did when brand new. I am shocked at how much hair it picks up. We had a band to the rotor bar break (my fault), my husband called them to purchase one and they replaced it for free. I have owned several higher-end vacs and this is the first one that has pleased me on all fronts.

I :001_wub: my Dyson,

Geo

Edited by Geo

The Sears Kenmore Progressive bagless scored a heck of a lot higher than the Dyson according to Consumer Reports. My Dyson recently broke, and you can't get the part that broke, of course. So, I got the Kenmore. It's a much better vacuum than the Dyson ever was! And, it's cheaper ($350).

Ria

:iagree:

If I could do it over again, I would have gotten another Kenmore Progressive (mine is not bagless) rather than my purple animal Dyson. I still have my old duct-taped Kenmore, and pull it out when I want to get into corners and under bookcases. My Dyson attachment (the flat foot thing, can't think of the proper name) is too wide. My OCD tendencies are pleased by the ability to see all of the hair and junk accumulate in the cannister of the Dyson, however. ;)

Cindy