Menu

Need easy reading book ideas for vacation

I am going away on Wednesday with a friend and her daughter and daughter's friend to a horse expo for 4 days. I know I will have down time in the evening and would like some nice, easy reads.

I enjoy horse, animal, vet type things (like James Harriot), stories set in the 1800s, easy modern fiction, etc. I would like some books that are well written but they don't have to be necessarily Christian as I have read many of those.

I do not want lots of details of intimacy, lots of foul language (a few words are OK), stories that are very "dark", etc.---just nice, ligth reading.

I don't want to have to think too hard on my vacation either.

Give me your best ideas.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. My fave book of the year, it has charming, quirky characters and a heart-warming story. Plus, you get some WWII history to boot! It is set in the Channel Islands of Great Britain, which were occupied by the Germans during WWII. Easy reading yet well-written, totally engaging.

I'll say it again:

Birds, Beasts, and Relatives

My Family and Other Animals

Famous British zoologist's boyhood in Greece, these are funny and educational.

For mere fun: The Egg and I

The author of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's early years in Washington state. I still use some of her turns of phrase (driving by sense of smell, e.g.).

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Have fun on your trip!

ETA: The first 3 are modern non-fiction, so I'm not sure if that's what you would want or not. They were easy, enjoyable reads, imo.

Thanks. I can get a few books before we leave and several more are on hold. I am trying to expand what I read to more than stuff on special needs kids, Christian romance fiction, and my devotions--oh, and horse stuff.

I plan on enjoying my trip. It is not overly relaxing as we are in seminars/clinics from 9am until 7pm each day but we do have our evenings and just being away is nice.

I'll second the recommendation for My Family and Other Animals--delightful read, enjoyable movie too.

Another one would be Cheaper By the Dozen--story of a large family, funny little vignettes, nice read.

The Wilderness Family, by Kobie Kruger, is my single favorite "animal" book. It's the story of a South African game keeper in a national park. The first half of the book details their adventures as a family stationed in a remote area of the park with elephants, hippos, et al for company. The second half focuses more closely on their adventure rearing a lion cub (pictures included).

I also really like the book One Year Off, which is the story of a family that sold everything and went around the world for a year. Every chapter is in a new place.

Also you might enjoy the Mitford series by Jan Karon. These are well-written Christian fiction (but NOT formula Christian fiction, thankfully) about a parish priest in a small town in the south. You laugh, you cry, and you find yourself wishing you lived in Mitford.