Menu

world history in the style of Hakim's History of US?

Thoroughly enjoyed reading History of US with my 3rd, 6th and 8th grade children. Now we'd like to go back to world history, but are struggling with a spine. Heard Streams of Civ. may be boring, Spielvogel doesn't give many of the details, Omnibus perhaps too challenging. I'm looking for something that not only covers rulers and wars, but also shares about artists, inventions, etc.

Could I use My Father's World for 9th grader (and also 2 younger sibs)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Sigh. We have not found anything like that so we used some boring textbooks and tried to liven them up with extra books. Genevieve Foster's World books are a fun read, and very informative. Comparing Hitler and Stalin using Albert Marrin's biographies was great!

If you plan to do World History over a few years it can be even better, because you will only be doing part of the textbook during the year. My daughters have spent more time reading interesting books than dry textbooks over the past few years.

And....maybe some dvds from The Teaching Co. would be helpful, if only to break up the textbook monotony!

This isn't exactly History of US-style, but we enjoyed Asimov's Chronology of the World for a world history spine. It is exactly what it says--a history of the world in sequence, with regions of the world broken out for each time period. It's HUGE (LOL) and could be daunting, but it's perfect for read-aloud and reference for the younger kids. I read sections of it for fun now and then. :) When my dd and hubby were traveling last fall, my dd "reread" the parts that were related to the areas of the world they planned to visit. Sort of a "brief history of time" or a "brief timeline of history" of those areas so that she could remember who hated whom, and why, before she wandered among the ruins.

is a roundabout way of finding them...

but Oxford history books are similar in that they have pictures of original documents and historical pictures in color...some limitations..

harder to find,

probably more expensive,

much narrower time periods and thinner books

not really high school level

I know some people have mentioned them before, but I don't know where they found them.

you can see what I'm talking about by looking on amazon.co.uk (search Oxford history or Oxford Illustrated History books) then maybe find them in the US somehow...

Best,

Joan

The Oxford University Press books are wonderful. We will be starting them next year for my daughter's 6th grade history. They are written in an engaging style, the pages are well laid out, the information is up to date and interesting. Each book has 24 chapters with primary sources, maps, and a timeline. Currently they only have up to 1750, but I'm hoping they will have a modern times set by the time we get there.

There are currently two sets: The world in ancient times and the medieval and early modern world. The ancient times set has 7 books plus a primary resource book; the medieval times set has 6 books and a primary resource book.

I am building my lesson plans with these books myself, but you can buy study guides through Amazon to go with them.

Here's a link to one of the titles: http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Roman-World-Times/dp/0195153804/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238340548&sr=8-2

In addition, these seem to be well made books so they can be used again.

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(10) dd(6) ds(4) ds(1)

Scholastic has out a series that covers various ancient world civs (although not the entire world, last time I looked). Alas, I can't think of anything for world that would cover all time periods and all cultures. For junior high and high school, I honestly like SWB's history of the ancient world, and I believe her medieval world is slated to come out not too long from now, too. I know some with precocious younger students who have even used this as a read aloud earlier than junior high....