Menu

Could you please list all the grammar progams that do not incl. diagamming?

paulcindy

We just hate diagramming. More like LOATHE it. R+S Grammar is great, but we are finding that we are skipping alot due to diagramming.

Besides Easy Grammar, are there any other programs, that do not include diagramming? I am just looking for a Grammar program. I do not need writing, spelling, vocabulary.

Thanks.

:( Wha? But it's so fun!

Before you give up on diagramming altogether, perhaps you could have a look at Mary Daly's The First Whole Book of Diagrams? Seeing the many examples in that book (all in large, clear fonts) was very inspiring to my girls (and me). :001_smile:

Just a thought.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

No, I cannot stomach diagramming sentences at all. I did it in High School and hated it then, and I despise it even more now:tongue_smilie:

All my kids hated it as well.

So I will look into the above suggestions. I even looked at Rules of the Game by EPS. That looks good as well. My daughter does really well with Grammar, so I am not looking for anything intense:001_smile:

Thanks ladies!!:):grouphug:

Michael Clay Thompson's language arts series doesn't use diagramming.

http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

MCT uses a diagrammed sentence to illustrate sentence construction in The Magic Lens texts,and provides binary diagrams with the majority of the 4-level sentence analysis exercises. Just an FYI regarding the junior/senior high level grammar texts.

Winston Grammar Basic has you label sentences, but it doesn't do formal diagramming. You will underline nouns, double underline verbs, circle direct objects, box indirect objects, put parentheses around prepositional phrases, label adj/adv/S, ... The next level, Word Works, is all about usage. The third level, Advanced, continues where Basic left off with more in depth labeling.

Fix-it Grammar is a proofreading program that you can get through IEW. My 8th grader's writing has improved a lot from this program, because she has finally started to self-edit her own writing. It has 5 different levels in the book and each level takes one story over an entire year.