Menu

I need a secular American Literature text -

to go along with BJU American Lit and the list of real books we are planning. While I like BJU well enough, I would like to have a different (ie. non-Christian) resource on my shelf for short stories, essays and poetry.

Any suggestions? This would be for an 11th grade study to go along with American History (possibly in preparation for the AP exam).

TIA!

We have a nice one called Elements of Literature: Fifth Course. It is an 11th grade text and subtitled Literature of the United States. It's put out by Holt, Rinehart and Winston. I found a copy for free on Bookmooch and am really pleased with it.

Thanks! I looked all three up. I was able to see the table of contents for two - Prentice Hall looks good, EMC Paradigm even better, I think. I haven't been able to find any details for Holt, Rinehart but I will keep looking.

Edited by Liza Q
can't type!

guys any links available so that I can read too? I need that information kindly share guys? Thanks.

clear.gif

These were pretty easy to find -

http://www.emcp.com/product_catalog/index.php?GroupID=180

http://www.phschool.com/atschool/literature/american_7e/Student_Area/LIT11_7e_S_BK_index.html

Still working on the Holt - let me know if you find it first!

When my husband teaches American Lit at community college, he always uses the Heath Anthology. I just checked with him and he says it has the best support materials. I do think I'd use a college level textbook to supplement 11th grade, especially to prepare for the AP. Check a used book store--ours always has older anthologies cheap. Or with a college English teacher--our offices are overflowing with slightly out of date textbooks!