Menu

How 'bout an exciting discussion about hot water heaters?

Is there such a thing as a hot water heater without aluminum? Ours must be replaced soon. We currently have natural gas, but are willing to switch to electric. The best I've found so far is glass lined but still has an aluminum rod. It's electric and $279.00 My electric company gives rebates for energy efficient purchases, which would knock $50.00 off of that. But aluminum? How safe is this? Of all the aluminum discussions I've run across, this is one I hadn't heard mentioned before.

have you checked into the gas instant hot water heaters? They don't have a tank that you have to keep the water warm in but rather heat the water on demand. I think they cost more but no running out of hot water and they save a lot of energy over time.

have you checked into the gas instant hot water heaters? They don't have a tank that you have to keep the water warm in but rather heat the water on demand. I think they cost more but no running out of hot water and they save a lot of energy over time.

:iagree:

Go for an 'on demand' water heater. When our tank conks out, that's what we'll be getting.

When ours went a few years ago, I tried to convince DH to go with a tankless one, but he reasoned that we would be without a shower for several days because of the reconfiguring that would need to be done. It died at 7pm in the evening and he wanted a hot shower in the AM so he went out and got a tank water heater and hooked it up that evening. I guess I have another 15-20 years to wait:).

:iagree:

Go for an 'on demand' water heater. When our tank conks out, that's what we'll be getting.

They are quite pricey and the retrofit can be very expensive too. I thought about that when the water heater in the condo needed to be replaced. It would have been 3 times as much as a conventional. $3000 vs. $1000 installed.