Menu

I'm trying not to have my head turned by a school I've visited. I've been twice and have spoken to a variety of teachers. The school is very musical and artistic, with compulsory Latin and two MFLs, in addition to the basics and three sciences for all. It's smallish, and has a good (but manageable) number of international boarders in the upper forms, when the school teaches the IB. They have a Mandarin teacher on the staff, so we could arrange tutoring for the boys (there isn't a suitable class for them).

I talked to some pupils, all of whom were pleasant and polite. One of the younger ones volunteered that he liked the school because there wasn't any teasing or bullying, as there had been at his previous school. This seemed a very genuine comment (he was about nine years old).

The daughter of the head of the senior school (who is also the head of classics) is home educated - she has autism - so the head is very alive to the advantages of HE. I was very impressed by the way he really tried to help me to work out when the best time would be for the boys to join the school, rather than trying to sweep them in at the earliest opportunity. He's particularly aware of the puzzle of integrating someone like Calvin, who is working, in some subjects, five years ahead. He also mentioned that he had been badly bullied at school and it was certainly something that he wouldn't tolerate. He's very excited by Hobbes' interest in Greek, and is willing to accommodate that outside the regular timetable if H is still enthusiastic by the time he joins the school.

I suspect that we will put them down on the waiting list to enter the school in 2 1/2 years time, then see how things develop.

Laura (somewhat starry-eyed, but aware that no school is perfect and that there are inevitable trade offs)

Do they need a principal? :D Oh, wait, that's not in Malaysia is it? It sounds awesome! Is it considered a public school or private?

The local state school has a decent reputation too, but I also hear it's a great place for a bright but lazy child to coast.....

Laura

Laura, I am sincerely happy for you, and a bit ambivalent, too. What will we all do when you're not a homeschooler any longer? :sad:

But for your boys' welfare and future, I am truly glad that you have found this answer to your diligent searching. When the time is right for your boys to go to this (or any) school, you will know how to let them go. Sniff, sniff.

And when that time does come, I wish I could be there to give three cheers for you, the homeschool-to-elsewhere mother... and I'd say to you, "Well done!"

Does it change your perspective, to realize that there is somewhat of an end to this road? I'm just wondering.

Did I read right, that your 12 year old is 5 years ahead? If that's the case, wouldn't he then be ready for college? I'm trying to understand what you are meaning. The school sounds great, by the way!

He's way ahead in some subjects and in some aspects, but not globally that far ahead. He has an extremely retentive memory, so fact-based subjects are easy for him. He just took (and passed with a very high mark) the equivalent of the biology SAT subject test. However, the only reason he was able to do it was because it relied on short answers, rather than full essays - he's not a high school writer yet. He is also dyspraxic and has slow handwriting. In addition, his maths is not great - we are doing over some things at the moment.

So no, he's not ready for college. What he needs is a school that can recognise his strengths and weaknesses, and work with them. Or, of course, we could carry on home educating... DH and I feel strongly that the boys should have some school time before going off to college (our personal view - no criticism implied of other decisions) so that's what we are trying to work out. He'd be entering school at age 14, so roughly high school, in US terms.

Thanks for asking - it's a puzzle.

Laura

Laura, I am sincerely happy for you, and a bit ambivalent, too. What will we all do when you're not a homeschooler any longer? :sad:

But for your boys' welfare and future, I am truly glad that you have found this answer to your diligent searching. When the time is right for your boys to go to this (or any) school, you will know how to let them go. Sniff, sniff.

And when that time does come, I wish I could be there to give three cheers for you, the homeschool-to-elsewhere mother... and I'd say to you, "Well done!"

Does it change your perspective, to realize that there is somewhat of an end to this road? I'm just wondering.

I hope I'll still be around a bit after they go to school, but I do feel other interests tugging me away. We are in a new house with an enormous garden - I can see transferring a lot of my energies to that. I'd also like to volunteer, perhaps in adult literacy.

How does it feel? A little odd. Yearning for the end to come, wishing it wouldn't.... Mostly, I want to see how to maximise the time until they go: more cuddles, more special days, more individualised learning...

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin