Menu

Wash your hair once a month?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969

I guess if you use baking soda every couple of days you're washing it, just not with shampoo.

I'm trying to convince dd13 (with the super-oily-hair-thing going on) to use baking soda. Maybe this article will help convince her to try it. I know this has been discussed here regarding oily hair.

One mom shared how she spent time in Norway as a foreign exchange student. There they wash their hair only once a week. She said: "I had always washed my hair daily and really thought I needed to. I was wrong; by the end of the first month my hair had adapted and was much less oily. Sooooo, I think there is a transition period. I was 17 at the time... and definitely had an oil problem but it seemed that washing less reduced the oil dramatically. "

Thanks for the link! I am going to suggest the baking soda to my dd12. Puberty is doing a number on her... oily hair, sweat, ugh. Maybe this will do the trick.

A dermatologist years ago suggested I try to shower no more often than every other day (unless I'm really dirty or gross) and then to only focus on the "hot spots" and to wash my hair only twice a week. Wow! What a difference! My hair and skin are so much healthier and feel so much better.

I did it for quite a while (baking soda/lemon juice rinse) and it worked well. I just got lazy and found a cheap brand of organic shampoo. But I am about to go back to the baking soda/lemon juice because shampoo irritates my scalp after a while, even the good stuff.

However the draw back for me was finding a container that made it easier to dispense the baking soda while in the shower. I still haven't found one. I used to spoon it into a plastic cup before getting in. But I am lazy, and am looking for a more convenient way to do it.

I haven't used shampoo in about 4 years. I rinse my hair thoroughly and condition every time I shower, but I don't use shampoo. It took about a month of skipping shampoo for me to see a real difference, and since then, my hair has been at its healthiest and best looking since I was a preschooler. Now, I do *not* have oily hair -- I have very dry, curly hair -- so I can't comment on that aspect at all. But for me, it was definitely a good thing.

I do think some people hear "no shampoo" and think "no wash", lol. I wouldn't skip showering or washing my hair! But *shampoo* was clearly only damaging my hair. The couple of times I've used shampoo in the last few years, it has taken a week for my hair to become manageable again. Not that it was worse than it was back when I was shampooing all the time -- it was just back to that, and now I expect more.

So it's possible to have *clean* hair without shampooing all the time. I don't do baking soda or anything else like that either. I rinse, condition and rub my scalp, rinse thoroughly, and add a little leave-on conditioner (like I said, curly dry hair)...

I rinse, condition and rub my scalp, rinse thoroughly, and add a little leave-on conditioner (like I said, curly dry hair)...

I read about this on the boards and have been doing the same for about two years now. I think it is called the "Curly Girl" method.

I also have very fine, very dry, and very very frizzy shoulder length hair. Shampoo dries my hair and I can't bring a hair dryer close to my head without looking like a scarecrow. I went from a daily wash to washing when it is really necessary.

I haven't used shampoo in about 4 years. I rinse my hair thoroughly and condition every time I shower, but I don't use shampoo. It took about a month of skipping shampoo for me to see a real difference, and since then, my hair has been at its healthiest and best looking since I was a preschooler. Now, I do *not* have oily hair -- I have very dry, curly hair -- so I can't comment on that aspect at all. But for me, it was definitely a good thing.

I do think some people hear "no shampoo" and think "no wash", lol. I wouldn't skip showering or washing my hair! But *shampoo* was clearly only damaging my hair. The couple of times I've used shampoo in the last few years, it has taken a week for my hair to become manageable again. Not that it was worse than it was back when I was shampooing all the time -- it was just back to that, and now I expect more.

So it's possible to have *clean* hair without shampooing all the time. I don't do baking soda or anything else like that either. I rinse, condition and rub my scalp, rinse thoroughly, and add a little leave-on conditioner (like I said, curly dry hair)...

Okay abeyej, I just took a shower and did NOT wash my hair - conditioned only. I have VERY curly hair, so I'm going to try this.:001_smile: