Menu

Moving from GA to SC? Help!

I'm a little embarrassed to have to ask these questions but I haven't moved from state to state since I've had kids and now it seems things are bit more complicated. I've lived in Georgia since before kids! Locals will tell you that I'm officially a Georgian but I am and will forever be a Carolina girl.

This is what I know: I have a GA license and registration, my GA car taxes have been paid for 2009, they won't expire until April 2010. My GA license won't expire until 2016. The address on my GA license is dd8's dad's home address, I've used it as my permanent address for years now b/c he's not going anywhere and we are friends now- I can use his address.

From what I understand, you must live in SC for 1 year to establish residency but proof of residency comes from having an electric bill in your name. Problem- we'll be living with my parents and the electric bill is in their name. I expect to live with them for at least a year, possibly two years depending on my salary advancements.

How in the world am I supposed to do all that I need to?

- car insurance in SC

- registering the kids in SC schools for next year

- will I be able to maintain my GA residency and attend a GA college for in-state tuition while living in SC before the year of residency as been established? Or do I need to find a SC college?

- the kids' immunizations are up to date but they are on a GA immunization form, the SC schools require a SC immunization form- this is interchangeable right?

At this time I do not plan to move back to GA, the kids & I will be building a life in SC and other than finding a place of our own, I do not foresee any reason to leave SC or transfer back to GA.

For the rest of this school year, I will continue mailing our attendance records to GA and dd8 will take the GA standardized test in May through the local homeschool group. THe GA attendance requirement will be fulfilled in May, 180 days.

Any advice or input? I will start college in fall, I've decided I've got enough on my plate right now and adding to it will just be too much. I just don't know if I'll be able to attend the same GA college I've chosen or if I have to find a SC one, esp. with the residency status up in the air.

I moved to SC 11 years ago. We didn't have a vehicle to transfer, so I don't know about that, other than that SC requires you to have a receipt for property tax paid on the vehicle as well as proof of insurance before you can register it. You pay the tax at the county tax office. You have to do that within 45 days of moving the vehicle to the state.

As far the license transfer goes, I think you have to do that within 30 days of moving to the state. I don't believe you have to have an electric bill in your name; I know we didn't at the time, as we were still living at my MIL's house. I just went to the DMV, filled out a form, passed the vision test, had my picture taken, and surrendered my out of state license. I may have had some piece of mail that had been forwarded to the SC address.

If you move to SC, you'll be a resident of SC. You'll probably be able to finish out the school year in GA without residency being an issue, since you started the semester living there. If you try to double dip and be a resident of both SC and GA for some overlapping time, you're committing fraud, and you're setting yourself up for legal troubles.

The doctor's office or health department should be able to give you an SC-approved immunization card. They may have to verify records from GA, so I wouldn't wait until the last minute to get that done.

HTH and welcome (back) to SC

The only question I can answer is the immunization one. Most state immunization forms are interchangable...it's just that you'll need someone to fill out the new form. The easiest way is likely to have your current pediatrician do it or when you move find a new pediatrician and just have them fill out the form using the information from the old form. We do this all the time for people moving.

Well I'm not trying to double-dip but until I live in SC for a year and have an electric bill in my name, I might be considered a GA resident. But after a little research I see that b/c I will be working full-time in SC, that will establish my residency there although it is generally a year before you are considered a SC resident as per the law:

Title 59, SECTION 59-112-20. A. Independent persons who reside in and have been domiciled in South Carolina for a period of no less than twelve months with an intention of making a permanent home therein, and their dependents, may be considered eligible for in-state rates.

B. Independent persons who reside in and have been domiciled in South Carolina for fewer than twelve months but who have full-time employment in the State, and their dependents, may be considered eligible for in-state rates for as long as such independent person is employed on a full-time basis in the State.

I'm calling the GA college I've applied to in order to find out if I will qualify as a GA resident or as a SC resident for this Fall.

Thanks for your help and warning. :)

I'm living w/my family and filled out a standard lease agreement with them. This provides my address for residency. I waited to get new license plates until they were a month from expiring in my previous state - saves lots of money. And, if ever asked by patrolman - not happened - but would say I'm leasing and don't have permanent address here.

Phone advice - I only use my cell phone and ended up with Verizon because only one that provided good coverage. I'd check out what company people liked were you more moving to.

I grew up on the border in SC. Depending on what college you have chosen, some Ga/SC colleges will recognize you at a resident rate if you live in a bordering county. I would just call and check. You should be able to take your GA immun. form to the health dept and have them convert it. As for your elec. bill I would just have your parnets fill out a lease agreement for you and that should satisfy that.

In all other respects, you can become a SC resident the day you move there with the intention of staying. You should have no trouble getting a driver's license, enrolling your children, etc. I've moved from state to state and never shown an electric bill in my name - they are often in DH's name which is different from mine, but often we had no electric bill in the military. In my memory, it was just a matter of taking any piece of mail. The DMV's policy was that if the USPS says it's my address, it's my address:)

Thanks all! I called the college I'll be attending and I will get an erate, more than in-state but less than out of state tuition. I just won't be able to use the GA Hope Scholarship.

The lease agreement sounds like the best way to go, then I'll change my driver's license, tags (shouldn't cost anything b/c I already paid the taxes, I'll call to be sure) and then get the kids' immunizations switched and then register them for school (next Fall). I'll use the Change of Address form verification if I need to. Whew, it's going to be a BUSY first week!

Thank you so much, all these details were making my head spin!

Thanks Emmy! Weird as it is, things are going great! Everything is just click, click, clicking into place-I'm busy as I can be but I think being busy is a blessing right now, staying focused on what is best for the kids and I.

A higher position (work) was available in SC, I applied and was hired the same day of my interview. The place I work now just hired someone who can do the job I do and she starts Monday, Thursday (3/26) is my last day.

I can list about 5 other things that have happened just like that, click, click, clicking into place. This is why I'm so grateful for everyone's prayers, there is no way this is all coincidence.

So if you rent, you can't get a SC license? :confused:

No, not driver's license. You have to pay the property taxes on your vehicle to the county in order to register the vehicle.

Paid Vehicle Property Tax Receipt

Before you can register your vehicle in South Carolina, you must first pay the vehicle property taxes that are required in the county in which you reside.

Eek, I just paid property tax on my vehicle for 2009! Hopefully they won't make me do it again. I paid early so I wouldn't have to deal with it later, I guess I can get a refund from GA if I have to pay SC. No biggie, just a pain. :) The links really helped, I learned a lot and today I'll call the auditor's office of the county we'll be in to see about the taxes.

So many little details!