Menu

I'm getting discouraged.....any advice welcome.

GVD22

DS is in 3rd grade and WILL NOT follow directions and carefully recheck his school work. Here's an example of what I deal with everyday. Okay honey, this is what the directions say, now tell me what are you supposed to be doing, He then tells me what he thinks the directions are requiring. Great job, honey, okay get started.

Math example: $20.00-$19.03= $100.00

He knows that he has to go through each column and work it and then go back and make sure that his answer makes sense but he won't. When I check the work and bring it to his attention, he then does it correctly, most of the time. He also does it correctly when I work with him before he starts his independent work.

Language: Divide these words into syllables. He has the syllabication rules in the front of his book and STILL makes up his own rules for dividing the words because of laziness. I asked him, "why didn't you look at the rules while you were doing your work?". His response, "I didn't want to."

I am beyond frustrated with him. I have a DD ahead of him and one behind them and don't have these issues with them. Is this unique to boys?

I've tried taking away computer/Wii privileges, requiring extra work and still the same result.

What can I do about this?

Do you sit at the table with him? I remember having similar struggles with oldest DS. I started sitting at the table with him rather than giving him an assignment and leaving his side. Sometimes just having me there kept him focused, I think. I also made DS correct his work until it was all right.

You may have already tried these things. If not, I hope they help you some.

Funny, just a few hours ago I was sitting next to mt ds helping him along to do his math. I have 2 dd's one 18 months older and one 2 years younger and they were quietly doing their work. I think boys need a cheerleader all the time. When I am sitting next to him and gently moving him along, encouraging him he does fine. Left to his own devices he get distracted and would much rather be outside riding his bike. My guy gets breaks with the understanding that he has to COMPLETE the days work by 2:00pm.

He needs help being motivated on some things, right now they are all doing an Art lesson and he is fully engaged with no help from me:)

He's just little. He needs *many* years of instruction and direction and correction to be able to work more carefully. No, it isn't just boys. :-)

I would probably give him less time to work independently and more of direct attention.

He's just little. He needs *many* years of instruction and direction and correction to be able to work more carefully.

I would probably give him less time to work independently and more of direct attention.

:iagree:

Homeschooling take LOTS of patience :grouphug: Ask me how I know, LOL! :tongue_smilie:

Please consider that many kids who are called "lazy" have learning disabilities. One of my kids has weaknesses with organization and problem solving skills. If I sit beside her and keep her on the right track, she can do the work with minimal help; yet if I'm not there, some days she literally can't remember how to do things that she has done many times before.

As for him saying, "I didn't want to," many kids would rather be viewed as stubborn or disobedient than stupid. And yes, stupid is the word they use for themselves when they wonder why they can't live up to our expectations.

I know from experience how hard it is to give our kids one-on-one time when we feel like they should be able to work independently and we have other children who need our attention, too. But it might be that he needs you to sit with him more while he's doing his assignments.

ETA: You know your son better than anyone else, and maybe my post doesn't apply at all. But I have had many moms tell me they thought their child was deliberately disobeying, not paying attention, or otherwise trying to drive their mom crazy, and these moms felt terrible when they realized their kids actually had LDs and were doing their best. So I just wanted to point out the possibility. Keep in mind that a person can be brilliant and still have an LD; I've also met teachers and parents who think that if a kid is smart, he can't have an LD.

Edited by LizzyBee

Thanks for the responses it's good to know I'm not alone.

If I sit beside her and keep her on the right track, she can do the work with minimal help; yet if I'm not there, some days she literally can't remember how to do things that she has done many times before.

If this doesn't sound like my son, I don't know what does.

Lizzybee, I'm pming you.:)

Edited by GVD22

My dd does the same thing. The faster she does it the faster she gets it done. So, I give her an incentive. We have one worksheet double sided. If she gets everything right on the first side, she doesn't have to do the other side. So far, it works pretty darn well.

Hi,

In my case, it's my DD (5th grade). An educator friend told me that 3-5th grades are the prime times to teach detail work - labeling answers, showing work in math, crossing "t's" and dotting "i's." But it takes so much repitition to make it a habit. For math we made a little reminder sheet that she decorated that has an acronym to remind her of the "rules:" GLASSES - give yourself plenty of room to work out the problem, label your answer, always double check, slowly read problem, slow down your writing, everything counts - show your work, sensible answers only, please! We review it before math every day. She understands what she's working for. If she gets a certain amount wrong, she does the lesson again. If she gets 100%, I do a chore of her choice for her that day. I have really seen improvement this year (and am doing lots of her chores lately!) :lol:

Keep at it! He'll get it eventually!

Blessings,

Julie

Seriously! If he gets them all correct then he is done. If he misses one, he has to go back and do the others. This worked for my dd! Eventually she outgrew it and now does whatever I give her. But the idea to tell him is that if he needs more practice, you have it ready! but if he doesn't, then he is done!

jeri

It is so frustrating, isn't it? This is exactly where I am with my son, age 10. With math, he is routinely getting 50% of his problems wrong, yet when I sit with him he gets nearly all of them correct. We have a definite diligence problem here and it seems like no matter what I try, we cannot conquer it. He is in 5th grade and I have two littles in the house so sitting by his side all day is not an option. The VAST majority of his errors can be attributed to lack of detail and laziness. This permeates into every area of his life. I will be watching this thread intently for more suggestions. :grouphug:.....you are NOT alone!

Blessings,

Lisa

Please consider that many kids who are called "lazy" have learning disabilities. One of my kids has weaknesses with organization and problem solving skills. If I sit beside her and keep her on the right track, she can do the work with minimal help; yet if I'm not there, some days she literally can't remember how to do things that she has done many times before.

As for him saying, "I didn't want to," many kids would rather be viewed as stubborn or disobedient than stupid. And yes, stupid is the word they use for themselves when they wonder why they can't live up to our expectations.

I know from experience how hard it is to give our kids one-on-one time when we feel like they should be able to work independently and we have other children who need our attention, too. But it might be that he needs you to sit with him more while he's doing his assignments.

ETA: You know your son better than anyone else, and maybe my post doesn't apply at all. But I have had many moms tell me they thought their child was deliberately disobeying, not paying attention, or otherwise trying to drive their mom crazy, and these moms felt terrible when they realized their kids actually had LDs and were doing their best. So I just wanted to point out the possibility. Keep in mind that a person can be brilliant and still have an LD; I've also met teachers and parents who think that if a kid is smart, he can't have an LD.

I agree, great post. Check out the book, The Mislabeled Child by the Eide's.

Merry :-)