Menu

I'm done! I'm done! Do the happy dance!

I have struggled with teaching Latin for how many years? Prima Latina, Latina Christiana I, a dip into LCII and a flat-on-your-face Cambridge...and then 1/2 of Henle book 1.

But my last child has finished his 1 credit of Latin for high school. Now we will finish our high school years with Spanish (which I am quite qualified to teach!!!!).

I'm CELEBRATING!!!!!

:party::party::party::party::party::lol:

Jean

Congrats, Jean. Feels good, doesn't it? Ds is finishing up Latin 1 and heading towards Spanish.

You are lucky that you were a Spanish major.

Will you do SOS w/ your ds? How much time do you invest per day?

Thanks!

I'm planning on SOS, but he is my dyslexic guy...we'll see if it works. I think the SOS lessons are normally under an hour/day. We just do one/day and then stop to catch up on vocabulary and what not as needed. Since the kids do SOS open notebook and there is so much daily work on the computer, it is pretty painless for me. We will see :). Jean

I'm CELEBRATING!!!!!

A well-deserved celebration it is! Congratulations to you and your son on your perseverance and hard work!

On a side note, I'm currently debating algebra II programs for next year and have been wondering why you switched from Chalkdust to TT. I remember you had posted what a fabulous teacher Dana Mosely is. After reading that, I had Chalkdust as the favorite pick, but am questioning if there is something I should know about the program now. Feel free to pm me if you'd rather not answer on this board.

Thanks and congrats again,

Cathy

A well-deserved celebration it is! Congratulations to you and your son on your perseverance and hard work!

On a side note, I'm currently debating algebra II programs for next year and have been wondering why you switched from Chalkdust to TT. I remember you had posted what a fabulous teacher Dana Mosely is. After reading that, I had Chalkdust as the favorite pick, but am questioning if there is something I should know about the program now. Feel free to pm me if you'd rather not answer on this board.

Thanks and congrats again,

Cathy

I LOVE Chalkdust. If I were to do math, that would be the program I'd want to do. My oldest son (the math phobic, 3-years-to memorize-multiplication-tables kid) is really blossoming with CD. He wishes he had done CD years ago. Mosely is so good...

And then there is my mildly dyslexic child who wants to be independent in his high school math work rather than doing it all with his mommy (they all grow up, you know). He thought CD was interesting, but his grades were showing that the way his brain works was not the same as Dana Mosley's (I suppose that should not be surprising). He did chapter 2 twice. I decided one weekend out of pure mommy-is-tired-of-pushing-I'm-getting-too-old-for-this-and-throw-caution-to-the-wind-and-buy-ANOTHER-math-program-aarghhh! that instead of doing chapter 3 three times, I'd try TT since others had said their dyslexic kids had done well with it.

So....there you go. I had a moment of angst, a day of I'm-51-and-not-getting-any-younger-and-he's-said-he-was-never-going-to-be-an-engineer-so-there! moment.

:blush::banghead::biggrinjester:

Jean

P.S. I should say my ds1 is done with chapter 7 out of 10 in his Alg II Chalkdust--the fastest he's ever gone through a math book (he started in mid September). He usually took a whole year (all 12 months) plus a few months out of the next year to finish a math book. LOL! He is also showing signs of maturity. Maybe his head has caught up with his body? :)

Edited by Jean in Wisc

I have struggled with teaching Latin for how many years? Prima Latina, Latina Christiana I, a dip into LCII and a flat-on-your-face Cambridge...and then 1/2 of Henle book 1.

But my last child has finished his 1 credit of Latin for high school. Now we will finish our high school years with Spanish (which I am quite qualified to teach!!!!).

I'm CELEBRATING!!!!!

Jean

Yay, Jean! Whoohoo!

And then there is my mildly dyslexic child who wants to be independent in his high school math work rather than doing it all with his mommy (they all grow up, you know). He thought CD was interesting, but his grades were showing that the way his brain works was not the same as Dana Mosley's (I suppose that should not be surprising). He did chapter 2 twice.

That's interesting. I bought CD this year to use with my mildly dyslexic 6th grader. It was a train wreck. I wasn't sure if it was trying to follow along on the chalkboard, watching the screen, or something else, but it just didn't work.

We moved on to Life of Fred, despite the fact that I swore I'd never use something so unconventional. It's good so far.

• 2 weeks later...