Menu

Do any of you bake bread for $$? What is a reasonable price?

I want to know the answer to this too. We are working on building a commercial kitchen, and since I already bake bread every day, that seems like a natural place to start.

We visited a raw dairy that was selling homemade bread for $7.00 a loaf. We did not buy any, and will not be charging that much!

Guest Virginia Dawn

Well a good 1 lb. loaf of whole wheat in a regular grocery store can cost from $2.50 to $4.00.

I would not sell a loaf for less than $4.00. You might want to do a cost analysis of your ingredients then figure how much you think your time is worth.

I just recently found a local bakery that mills their flour daily. An added bonus, they sell me their freshly milled flour. I bring it home and bake it up within a few hours.

They sell their whole wheat bread for $4.80. They can bake 18 loves at a time, so that helps.

I do not know of anyone who bakes from their kitchen and sells bread. I wish you the best. If you sold bread for less than $4.80 a loaf and you lived near me, I would pay you for home baked bread that was made from freshly milled wheat berries.

ETA: There is a cost analysis on one of the bread baking websites. It states that it costs $1.04 a loaf to make the bread. She even calculated the electricity that her mixer and oven used. She wasn't sure about the 1 tsp. of salt, so she decided 1 cent would do!! Another site did a similar cost comparison and came up with 83 cents.

Both of the above cost comparisons assumed you already owned a wheat grinder, mixer and bread pans.

Edited by Mary in NJ

Do you:

bake daily or weekly.... and....

do you use your Whisper/Nutrimill to mill the wheat? I'm wondering about putting wear and tear on the mill for the added use.

Thanks, girl!

I have a nutrimill and a bosch. I bake 2-4 times a week depending on how fast we are going through it. Once I get more organized I'd like to do one big baking day for selling each week and one day for our needs.

The going rate around here is around $6 a loaf. I'm willing to buy it once or twice a month, to give myself a break, and as a treat - I buy a yummy breakfast bread, or honey challah - but it is hard to justify the price too often when I can easily make my own bread.

I love to decorate cakes but I CANNOT bake-decorate cakes and sell them out of my home kitchen because it is illegal... the same rules/laws apply to breads too--they have to be baked in a licensed kitchen.

Just be aware of your risks. I have a good friend who made a wedding cake for a relative and was 'compensated'--someone from the wedding reception inquired about the bakery--the result was a $2000 fine for a FIRST OFFENSE.

The Health Department is very serious about violations.

----

In Texas you CAN sell bake goods as part of a 'bake sale' IF 100% of the profits go to a charity.

I personally would NEVER turn someone in for this--but it is still too much of a risk for me to take as a home baker.

Thank you! Do you know that there is a local pizza shop that was selling these FABULOUS cheesecakes. When asked where they came from the owner proudly announced that he was buying them from a woman who converted her garage into a kitchen and bakes from there?!?!?!?!?:confused:

I'm off to do more research... :auto:

Yup, I know that if I wanted to sell baked goods, I would have to be in a commercial kitchen that has been properly inspected. It's kind of a pain in the backside, but at the same time, it does deter the converted-garage cheesecake makers! ;) I have contemplated renting space from a commercial kitchen before, but that would definitely eat into profits.