Menu

Multiple Streams of Income

Dh has not been able to find a FT job and it doesn't look promising for the next year or so! Even those he has seen (but didn't get hired for) are paying $8 an hour, which would net us less than unemployment. And we need more than unemployment!

I think the best bet is a multiple streams of income method. Some places *are* hiring PT employees (still at $8 an hour.) If we used one PT job as an "anchor" of sorts (for at least some steady income) and work to find other ways to make money as well. By sticking with a PT regular job we will allow more flexibility in our schedule to do things that pay more. If he were to work FT at $8 an hour it would be more difficult to work other things around his schedule.

For example, a friend has asked if my dh and ds can do some yard work for her. This is no problem - we already have lawn equipment and other tools. My mother needs me to do some bookkeeping work for her starting April 1st because she is laying off another employee, so I will get about 10 hours per week this way. I will have to leave the house (I don't have home internet), but the hours would be flexible.

What other things can we do? Nothing else online please (like Cha-Cha) and nothing like LiveOps (there are 9 people in our house and it isn't possible to find a quiet place.)

I can babysit up to 2 children.

Any other ideas?

I'd suggest a handy man job... home/yard repairs and maintence stuff.

Could you teach anything like how to sew/quilt, canning? community centers and colleges will often let people teach "continuing education" type classes like that. maybe tutoring?

An errand service maybe? pick up/deliver groceries, dry cleaning...?

Maid service or meal delivery? come in and clean (you have a built in crew to help you!;)) or deliver homemade meals (my mil paid a lady at her parent's church to do this for her dad twice a week for several years while grandmother sufferred alhizmers to give herself a break on taking him meals)

all the landscaping people that might have rented equipment from ya'll in the past? If he's got the landscaping equipment already, I'd think starting his own business would be the first place we'd start though. I just don't know how much you already have equipment wise. My brother just got laid off at John Deere, he's going to start working for landscapers in a week or two, just from the contacts he made with his old job. Dave Ramsey says this is one of the quickest ways to make money when you're in desperate mode. The only other idea I know of is to start a cleaning business. I've been cleaning houses for almost a year and it's really helped keep us afloat. You just have to get your name out there that you want to clean. I have to turn away business. Older people not on fixed incomes really want good, dependable help and they are willing to pay for it. I get $15/20 an hour with most of my jobs and the time involved is about 20 hours a month. I take two of my dc with me twice a month to do one house though.

I missed your baby announcement! Hope everything is going well with the new little one!

Hugs,

Molly

I think the best bet is a multiple streams of income method. Some places *are* hiring PT employees (still at $8 an hour.) If we used one PT job as an "anchor" of sorts (for at least some steady income) and work to find other ways to make money as well.

We went through something similar about 6 to 7 years ago.

My dh ended up working PT at Starbucks because they provide health benefits for part time employees. I've heard that Target & Kohl's do the same. So, that's something to look for if you are needing/wanting healthcare coverage.

Basically, my dh did mostly night or weekend hours for the PT job, which left his days mostly free to either job-hunt or take other work he could find. Both of us did contract work we could find (I was/am a technical writer/editor); he did 'office' type contracts such as project management, finance (his main area), etc....

So, for 'other' work to consider, I'd suggest contacting contract agencies if you have any skills they need. Jobs can range from a week to many months (or even years), depending on the project & the company.

Also, what about providing tutoring services?

My dh has cleaned doctors' offices for over twenty years. If you get a contract directly from the doctor you can make much more than if you work for a cleaning company. It only requires a bare minimum of initial outlay - a vacuum cleaner, dusting supplies, bathroom cleaning supplies and trash can liners. The doctors reimburse him for the paper towels and toilet paper he replrnishes. Just go door to door at all the doctors' office buildings and complexes and ask if they need someone. There is a high turnover rate in this business because it requires someone who is steady and trustworthy.

Don Aslett has a book about starting your own cleaning company called Cleaning Up for a Living.

ETA that cleaning is a very flexible job in that you can clean anytime between the time they leave for the day and when they open again the next morning. My dh usually cleans after he gets off from his regular job - in the early evening - but when I need him to come home right away (like when I was on bedrest with my fourth) he got up early and cleaned before his regular job.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

We live near a 24 hour warehouse grocery store. They start about 10 pm restocking the store. They use forklifts. Any warehouse stores nearby?

It is kind of scary to shop in there with the forklift running around and all of the pallets of food. :001_huh:

Were you thinking about moving to FL?

We live near a 24 hour warehouse grocery store. They start about 10 pm restocking the store. They use forklifts. Any warehouse stores nearby?

It is kind of scary to shop in there with the forklift running around and all of the pallets of food. :001_huh:

Were you thinking about moving to FL?

There is a Sam's about 25 minutes from here, but they aren't hiring. Not many places seem to be!

We are moving to FL in June 2011. My mother and all her family are down there and we already have a house (and probably a job) lined up, but for various reasons we need to wait until then to actually move.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll look into these!

Dh has not been able to find a FT job and it doesn't look promising for the next year or so! Even those he has seen (but didn't get hired for) are paying $8 an hour, which would net us less than unemployment. And we need more than unemployment!

I think the best bet is a multiple streams of income method. Some places *are* hiring PT employees (still at $8 an hour.) If we used one PT job as an "anchor" of sorts (for at least some steady income) and work to find other ways to make money as well. By sticking with a PT regular job we will allow more flexibility in our schedule to do things that pay more. If he were to work FT at $8 an hour it would be more difficult to work other things around his schedule.

For example, a friend has asked if my dh and ds can do some yard work for her. This is no problem - we already have lawn equipment and other tools. My mother needs me to do some bookkeeping work for her starting April 1st because she is laying off another employee, so I will get about 10 hours per week this way. I will have to leave the house (I don't have home internet), but the hours would be flexible.

What other things can we do? Nothing else online please (like Cha-Cha) and nothing like LiveOps (there are 9 people in our house and it isn't possible to find a quiet place.)

I can babysit up to 2 children.

Any other ideas?

What about housecleaning? I have a friend who charges 25 an hour plus one.. She doesn't say 25 an hour but she looks at the house and if she can do it in 2 hours she says 75. if 3 then she charges 100. Usually not much more than 100 and that is for a pretty big house. She does the basics, mop, vacuum, clean bathrooms, dust. She does 2 houses a day.