Menu

Combined 1st & 3rd Grade Science ideas?

ummof3

I was going to stick to nature studies but not sure if we are going to be able to get out enough. We'll be starting in September and it gets dark pretty quickly and with a preschooler and new baby in tow i'm not sure how easy it is going to be. However, we have a garden and im happy to buy books so we still want to pursue Nature studies. I have been reading on the forum that most people encourage nature based science studies at this age (first & third). I just need some recommendations on curriculum. I don't want to piece something together myself or is it that simple? I like the look of the suggestions at Tanglewood. I've ordered Real science Chemistry pre level 1 for my third grader to use in the winter.

Can I have some suggestions? I'm waiting for my WTM to read about Susan's suggestions. It would be great if I could make Science pick up and go.

tia

x

Edited by ummof3

Well there's a heap of good resources out there for science in those grades. I've pieced together my own Life Science this year for my K'er and 2nd grader using rec's from TWTM ('04 version), enchantedlearning.com, and Trivium Academy's complete scheduled out plan (on her blog and on lulu.com) for human, germ, medicine, and plant studies (thank you Jessica!). So I only had to peice together my own animal studies. I went the route of using the taxonomic classifications to introduce them and used Kingfisher 1st Animal as the spine. We always, always flesh it out much more w/ other encyclopedias we own (DK 1st Animal, Kingfisher Illustrated Animal, Kingfisher Illustrated Nature, and DK Smithsonian Institute Animal) and TONS of library books. KF 1st Animal isn't enough by itself, IMO. I tend to check out a month's worth of books at a time, so if I don't have time to run back and forth to the library then we don't get behind on studies. For worksheets I've used enchantedlearning's site a lot. We also use cosmeo.com for educational videos, games, etc. that correlate to any subject you type in the search bar. It's by Discovery Kids Education. I add real-life observations, experiments, and field trips whenever possible.

If you don't want to piece it together yourself a la TWTM, there are many great curriculum options. Some I'm looking at for next year are RS4K, R.E.A.L. Science, God's Design for... series, or Apologia. Sonlight's science- though it's not on a 4-yr. trivium, is worth looking at, as they now allow people to order only the items they want rather than an entire core or all subjects. God's Design, Apologia, and Sonlight are all Christian curriculums while the other 2 I mentioned are neutral/secular.

Hopefully that helps some, and if not, it bumps this thread up for you so someone else can chime in! :)

Thanks for your suggestions - i'll take a look at them.

I don't feel confident enough to pick up books and piece together something myself. I don't mind using something that's Christian based but not overly iykwim. Hmmm... let me go take a look then at some of your suggestions :001_smile: xx

We did the life science from Pandia Press when my kids were at that stage and really enjoyed it. It does require some collecting of materials, but almost all of it is stuff you just have around the house. There's a materials list and sample pages on the web site.

Also, I recently saw a book called "Science Through Children's Literature" that looked interesting for elementary kids, but I've not seen more than what's in the Amazon preview.

We did the life science from Pandia Press when my kids were at that stage and really enjoyed it. It does require some collecting of materials, but almost all of it is stuff you just have around the house. There's a materials list and sample pages on the web site.

Also, I recently saw a book called "Science Through Children's Literature" that looked interesting for elementary kids, but I've not seen more than what's in the Amazon preview.

That sounds good, i'll look into them both x