Menu

How much writing?

My 8yo officially in 3rd grade this year reads on a high school level, does grammar on an 8th grade level and penmanship on a 3th grade level.

How much actual writing - as in creative writing, poetry, book reports, etc. would you require?

In regard to size... how many pages, lines, or paragraphs do you require?

Also how much do you correct, in regards to punctuation, capitalization and grammatical errors?

If the handwriting is age appropriate, then I wouldn't over-stress the written aspect. I'd do simple assignments in written form, and more complex ones conversationally, or with you writing for her.

For a third grader, I wouldn't require more than a page or so for an assignment and wouldn't require more than a couple a week. I'd expect only capitals and terminal punctuation (full stops, question marks, etc.) until his handwriting was fully fluent.

Laura

If the handwriting is age appropriate, then I wouldn't over-stress the written aspect. I'd do simple assignments in written form, and more complex ones conversationally, or with you writing for her.

For a third grader, I wouldn't require more than a page or so for an assignment and wouldn't require more than a couple a week. I'd expect only capitals and terminal punctuation (full stops, question marks, etc.) until his handwriting was fully fluent.

Laura

For us in Canada & the US, a full stop is called a period ;). The OP is most likely living in the States because she spelled Harbour with no u!

I'd also keep the writing level down to his age and penmanship level unless your 8 yo loves to write.

For us in Canada & the US, a full stop is called a period ;). The OP is most likely living in the States because she spelled Harbour with no u!

But Americans say 'period' when they write to me, so I say 'full stop' when I write back. I'm sure we can all work it out.

Laura

But Americans say 'period' when they write to me, so I say 'full stop' when I write back. I'm sure we can all work it out.

Laura

:D Yes, just translating for those not in the know. I didn't know about full stops until I bought Eats, Shoots and Leaves (or is it Eats, Shoots, and Leaves????). Then again, I might have deduced it by logical deduction ;)

How much actual writing - as in creative writing, poetry, book reports, etc. would you require?

At that age, I wouldn't require too much. I think writing out one narration a week is plenty, but I would do other things orally. You could also get your ds started on typing. (We were preparing for CW-Homer, so I wanted dd to learn to type well.) I'm not a big fan of creative writing or book reports.

In regard to size... how many pages, lines, or paragraphs do you require?

Half a page sounds good to me too. I know that some teachers require more. I have really stepped up the requirements this year, but at age 8, you can still be more gentle.

Also how much do you correct, in regards to punctuation, capitalization and grammatical errors?

If he is at an 8th grade grammar level, I think that you should be correcting all grammatical errors. I wouldn't do it to the point that it is discouraging though. Sometimes, I correct the things that I know dd should get right, and point out things they should could correct in the future.

Thank you, this gives me a better idea of what to expect from him for next year. As this year he did very little in school writing outside of penmanship and workbook writing. In his free time he did comprise a comic book and I guess that's good enough.

Thank you, this gives me a better idea of what to expect from him for next year. As this year he did very little in school writing outside of penmanship and workbook writing. In his free time he did comprise a comic book and I guess that's good enough.

:lol::lol:My kid brother wrote a comic book when he was 6, all phonetically spelled, about ants taking over the world. But he's not at all violent now, so it was just some little boy thing. fwiw, he's also rather literary, when he has time to read, and enjoys things like Don Quixote...