Menu

Gombrich's A Little History of the World

mo2

Has anyone used this? I have decided we need to focus on the 3 R's with my 7yo, so we are backing off on history and science for now. (Well, maybe not so much science. It's kind of her favorite.) In any case, I wondered if this would make a nice read aloud that we could just do a chapter or two a week. Also, is it secular?

Thanks.

He has broad acceptance of religions and tolerance.

He says, “Would it not be better if people got on with one another regardless of any differences of opinion or belief that they might have? Better if they respected one another and tolerated each other’s convictions? This was the first and most important idea that the people who thought about such things now voiced: the principle of tolerance.†(p.214).

It does make a good read-aloud, or even the audiobook is reasonably priced.

He has broad acceptance of religions and tolerance.

He says, “Would it not be better if people got on with one another regardless of any differences of opinion or belief that they might have? Better if they respected one another and tolerated each other’s convictions? This was the first and most important idea that the people who thought about such things now voiced: the principle of tolerance.†(p.214).

It does make a good read-aloud, or even the audiobook is reasonably priced.

Thank you. I think that quote just cemented my decision to read this book with my dc.

We love A Little History, but I wouldn't necessarily think it's a good fit for a 7 yo. For that age, I'd use a Child's History of the World instead. JMO.

What age do you think A Little History of the World is appropriate for?

I like this book a lot. I listened to it as an audiobook from audible.com.

My favorite part is the end. He began the book as a young man during interesting times. As he aged, and watched the consequences of events he had judged as a young man, he changed his mind. He added is later thinking as a postscript to the book, and I found it very valuable.

I've read Gombrich, Van Loon, Our Island Story (can't think of her name right now), and A History for Peter (an American history series I like that was written in the sixties) and one thing that is both a problem and an opportunity with all of them is that while they were strong on history well in their past, as they approached their own time, their judgements got in the way of their objectivity. But we can see how history played out. It's a great opportunity for discussion and thought. (What are we unable to see because we're too close?) And Gombrich discusses this explicitly.

I think as a read-aloud, 7 is fine. Definately not independent reading at that age, but as a read-aloud, or listen aloud, as we are doing should be fine.

If you want some independent reading to go along with the Gombrich, I'd opt for getting some horrible histories.

Would it be possible to use it with a child that is younger than 7yo? My dd will be 6 in October and I was planning to start using it in September.

Gombrich is the only one of the usual history books (Van Loon, Hillyer, SOTW) that has been translated into Dutch...and I'm not looking forward to translating whole books by myself :tongue_smilie:, maybe when the baby sleeps through the night :001_huh:.

Would it be possible to use it with a child that is younger than 7yo? My dd will be 6 in October and I was planning to start using it in September.

Yes, I think you could. My daughter is about the same age, and I've been reading it to her. A friend of mine has been reading it to her 6 year old as well. For me as the person having to read it, its easier to read aloud than other choices. It has a conversional style that is more suitable for all ages.

The mosiac lesson plans (free) schedules Gombrich as an alternative to SOTW.

http://bringinguplearners.com/mosaic/

The audiobook has been a huge favorite around here. I totally recommend it. It does have a Christian flavor to it in some parts if I remember correctly. He says something to the effect of "those barbarians didn't know better like we (assuming Christian) do." Not exactly that, but more or less the gist of it.

My favorite part is the end. He began the book as a young man during interesting times. As he aged, and watched the consequences of events he had judged as a young man, he changed his mind. He added is later thinking as a postscript to the book, and I found it very valuable.

I admit I was shocked when I read the original chapter, but the postcript was great. Even if we don't use the entire book (and we probably won't), I will definitely use that section when we get to that part of history. I think it's important to read it from the viewpoint of someone who went through it. I also like that he did not change the original writing, but added to it.

I began reading the book aloud to my son when he had just turned 5 and he found it very engaging. I also know a seasoned homeschool mom who read it aloud to her children, who are younger than 5, so I think it would easily work as a read-aloud for a 6 or 7 year old.

Edited by daybreaking

I would think long and hard about buying it for a 7 yo. If he likes history and loves to listen to read alouds, then maybe, otherwise I would wait a few more years. We listened to it awhile ago and while a couple of my littles liked it, only the children over the age of 11 got into discussions and remembered it. There is so much that is good for 7 yo that you might want to think about saving this for later.

I would think long and hard about buying it for a 7 yo. If he likes history and loves to listen to read alouds, then maybe, otherwise I would wait a few more years. We listened to it awhile ago and while a couple of my littles liked it, only the children over the age of 11 got into discussions and remembered it. There is so much that is good for 7 yo that you might want to think about saving this for later.

:iagree:

I think it's more appropriate for Logic stage. It raises some interesting questions that lead to more indepth discussion. CHOW is a simplier narrative more appropirate for the 5-10 range.

Oke, now I'm no longer relaxed :confused:.

That's two votes for using it for a 1st grader, and two votes against. Ieeeek.

I'm fine with a challenging read alout for Literature, for History I would like to use something age appropiate that DD finds interesting and fun. If Gombrich is too difficult, and I was already having my doubts about it from skimming the book, I need to find something else...and I need to find it NOW, because it will probably involve a lot of work translating :001_huh:. Help?

You have an unusual situation because of the language issue. Do you own the book already? If you do give it a try and see how it goes. If not, can you seach for material already in Dutch?

JMHO, but sometimes I notice quite a bit of "push down" on this board. While I agree with SWB that young children are capable of understanding advanced language and using good quality literate is necessary, I notice a push to use more advanced material at younger ages. This sorta leaves you with no place to go once you reach logic stage.

Stacy,

I have Gombrich's book in Dutch. I think that my dd would be able to handle it in September but I'm just not sure she will find it interesting or fun.

I have also noticed the 'push down' you mention ( I have been on this board for ages :), althought I'm only now starting to homeschool.). I find with my dd that she can handle quiet advanced literature, she will even ask for those stories and tell me she enjoys them, but the really out-loud-giggling and re-enacting of what she has heard will only happen with the easier books. And that's what I want for her first experiences of History.

Believe me, I have searched and searched for a book in Dutch, I can't find anything that is both a narrative *and* includes world history. Also, the books I have found go from prehistoric man to medieval times (with maybe one story about the Romans in between). Nothing with the scope of -for example- SOTW.

Sigh.

Tress, could you use Gombrich as your spine, and library books for specific topics? Those other books you metioned to go along with Gombrich?

Use Gombrich for your scope, and use the easier books to expand on events.

I think putting it together that way would be easier than translating everything.

The next go around in history, maybe you could use Van Loon's Story of Mankind? Has that been translated into Dutch? I'm assuming since he was Dutch it has. It does assume previous exposure to history, and I think would be a good fit for the following stage.

As to Mo2. I don't know if you'd like CHOW as much as Gombrich, given that you found SOTW too christian. Van Loon speaks in his preface about his personal bias which I liked.

Tress, could you use Gombrich as your spine, and library books for specific topics? Those other books you metioned to go along with Gombrich?

Use Gombrich for your scope, and use the easier books to expand on events.

I think putting it together that way would be easier than translating everything.

The next go around in history, maybe you could use Van Loon's Story of Mankind? Has that been translated into Dutch? I'm assuming since he was Dutch it has. It does assume previous exposure to history, and I think would be a good fit for the following stage.

As to Mo2. I don't know if you'd like CHOW as much as Gombrich, given that you found SOTW too christian. Van Loon speaks in his preface about his personal bias which I liked.

I was thinking about Van Loon for the logic stage, but I haven't read it myself yet, so we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.